Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smallish wheels, where to even begin looking?

willimo
11-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Hi guys.

I reckon not many, if any of ya'll recognize me, as I spend the majority of my AF time in the Car Modeling section. That's right, I'm one of those suckers that builds models that don't even move. What's up with that?

Anyhow, I thought I'd still appeal to ya'll's unique knowledge and expertise about a small problem I'm having:

Having just procured a rare (and awesome) 1:12 scale model kit, I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do about giving the old girl some new shoes. I'm basically looking for some wheels (and tires!) that would work in 1:12 scale, since there are none I've seen on the market. I know that most RC cars are either 1:18 or 1:10 or larger, but I figure there may be some smaller wheels available for 1:10 cars that may work? I figure 17" wheels in 1:10 scale out to about 20" in 1:12, and while that's still a little large, that'd be workable. What I'm really looking for is something a bit smaller than that, even. At 1:12, an 18" rim (which is what I'm looking for, ideally, 18" or 19") scales out to close to 1 3/8" actual size.

HPI wheels (and tires) show the most promise, but I can't find their diameter? Their site just lists their width, and judging from the pics, the wheels must be huge! for my application.

Anyhow, I know it's a bit of an off the wall question, but any help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

pre98zetec
11-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Check out some of the Tamiya hop-up wheels. I've seen some in my model shop and they're pretty small sized for 1/10th scale. I've seen Wantabees (or however they're spelled) and a few others.

HPI wheels are rather large, most of the time big rims/small tires.

have a look here:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=mini-t+wheels&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go

(if that link doesn't work go to www.towerhobbies.com and type in Mini-t Wheels)

They're 1/18th .. but the rims themselves are 1.3" in diameter (what you're looking for from what i understand?)

Oh, HPI wheels are 1.9" diameter (on average) for the street car series.. the bigger (stadium truck) are 2.2".

Hope I helped.

Add your comment to this topic!