Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is my cousin full of it?

Chiquae07
11-23-2006, 01:37 AM
well, yes its kinda of similar to clawhammer's post, yet differnt. i am in mirimar, fl at the moment, for thanks giving. here my cousin drives a mazda 6. he says that after he's turbo'd the car it will run 11s easily. now i think his is jibberish, as i know you need a lot of power to get into the 11s. anyone have any backround knowlege on these cars really? currently, with i/e, i say he'd run a high 14 tops, but thats just me.

i would have gotian or mush man race him, but apparently the 2 aren't that 'happy' at the moment. let me know what you guys think about that. he is here till saturday, then going back to daytona.

o and happy turkey day.

i3o2Matt
11-23-2006, 01:44 AM
HAH! 11s...thats great lol

-The Stig-
11-23-2006, 02:06 AM
11s in the 1/8th maybe...

S13Driftfiend
11-23-2006, 07:35 AM
MAYBE 13's with a nice setup and a good tune. MAYBE.

G-man422
11-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Thats BS. no way hes gettin into the 11's w/ just a turbo.

Chiquae07
11-23-2006, 08:27 AM
i believe all he is doing is intake, 3' exhaust, cams & gears, fuel injectors, and the turbo set up. he already has the whole body kit and rims thing going on. he also diddnt believe me when i said my 2.0 sentra would run a mid 16. he said it must be faster than that. its kind of rediculious. i told him the fastest you'll prob see is a mid 13. anyone have any good references on these cars? i remember gotian saying the mazdaspeed 6 turnes the turbo off before redline and things of that sort.

freakray
11-23-2006, 09:04 AM
i remember gotian saying the mazdaspeed 6 turnes the turbo off before redline and things of that sort.

Turns the turbo off?

How do you turn a turbo off, it's not a lightbulb.

Maybe the wastegate bleeds off the pressure or maybe the turbo is sized that close to redline it's not creating significant boost?

G-man422
11-23-2006, 09:43 AM
does he mean fuel cut-off?

BlackGT2000
11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Sounds like a bunch of shit to me.

clawhammer
11-23-2006, 10:58 AM
It's possible with a HUUUUGE turbo, like a T78, or GT40R or something that huge. Of course it will only hit full boost by 5000 rpms, but technically it's possible.

Realistically, probably 13s. Simply because he wont' go with that big of a turbo, because he'll actually care about spool.

Chiquae07
11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
i guess it was fuel cut off.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=615661

sounds of this, i might go out and buy one of these mazdaspeed 6's for about 23,000. thats a deal for me. depends where i end uip going to college though. sounds like if i get a engine managment system, i could keep the fuel going till redline. i think he'll just put on the turbo from the mspeed6 onto it, and hope for the best. i have no idea.

S13Driftfiend
11-23-2006, 01:12 PM
It's possible with a HUUUUGE turbo, like a T78, or GT40R or something that huge. Of course it will only hit full boost by 5000 rpms, but technically it's possible.

Realistically, probably 13s. Simply because he wont' go with that big of a turbo, because he'll actually care about spool.

it may be possible with a huge turbo like that but the lag will be ridiculous. if he goes full out with a t78... EVERYTHING will have to be upgraded and by the sound of this person's intelligence, thats not going to happen. id say yes, hes full of shit. he would have to go full slicks or at least drag radials. sounds bullshit to me

freakray
11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
i guess it was fuel cut off.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=615661

sounds of this, i might go out and buy one of these mazdaspeed 6's for about 23,000. thats a deal for me. depends where i end uip going to college though. sounds like if i get a engine managment system, i could keep the fuel going till redline. i think he'll just put on the turbo from the mspeed6 onto it, and hope for the best. i have no idea.

Nope, he said the turbo shut off.....

I need to find the on/off switch for the turbo on my car now, then I can turn it on when I want and off when I want to drive a N/A car.... :screwy:

Actually, reading his whole 'review' it became clear he didn't have a good understanding of forced induction and the effect the size of the turbo has on effective boost range.

S13Driftfiend
11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Well once he adds the NOS stickers and the high performance seat covers im sure he'll be in the 9's... that always does the trick :grinno:

CassiesMan
11-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Turns the turbo off?

How do you turn a turbo off, it's not a lightbulb.

Maybe the wastegate bleeds off the pressure or maybe the turbo is sized that close to redline it's not creating significant boost?

One of my buddies back in highschool got a Volvo for his first car, I wanna say it was a T70, but I'm not sure, I would be able to call it if I saw it. Anyways, it was a turbo, but it had a little on/off switch in the car for the turbo? I'm meeting up with him on saturday, if I get a chance I'll take a pic of it if he is still driving the Volvo.

Polygon
11-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Come on guys, it would NOT take a huge turbo. I can easily make 11s in the GTC with a GT28RS which is NOT a big turbo. However, just slapping on a turbo, injectors, 3" exhaust, CIA, and cam gears he is NOT going to be in the 11s. I guess if he ran some pretty high boost but he is going to break something. With what he has planned he better only plan on running 13s if he doesn't want something to break.

If he wants to run 11s reliably here is what he is going to need:

He needs a turbo matched for his engine.
Full 3" mandrel bent exahust from the turbo back.
Ported exhaust and intake manifold.
A real CIA, not a short RAM.
He is going to need some descent head work.
He will need more than injectors, he needs a higher flow fuel pump.
He should look at the ignition.
I don't know how strong the internals are, but he better look into those.
Also, what about the transmission, is it up to the task does he have and LSD?
He is going to need tires. There is no way with a FWD he is going to break 11s with tire that came on his car.
And most importantly, what is he going to use to manage everything?

That is what he needs to run 11s reliably. With what he has picked out he with certainly break something trying to reach his goal. Then there is the issue of how good of a driver he is. He is bench racing, and he is doing quite poorly at that.

clawhammer
11-24-2006, 04:19 PM
The reason I said he'd need a HUGE turbo is because with one of those, he could get away with running low boost. The lower the boost, the less likely he is likely to break something. While the internals might hold up 10 psi, they may not hold up 20psi. With a small turbo you might need to run 20 psi, but you can get away with running only 10 psi on a huge turbo.

freakray
11-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Everyone appears to think that a turbo's size only determines the boost output of the turbo.

ECMgarrett
11-24-2006, 04:55 PM

the mandrel thing - yes, it flows better, but hes only doing 11s, i know plenty of people running 11s with crush bent.

and the intake thing - its a turbo, he could just put a filter on there and be fine.

Polygon
11-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Boost does not equate to horse power. Airflow does.

It is the lack of airflow that is going to cause problems, that is why he will have to run a fair amount of boost no matter what turbo he picks. I do see your point, 10PSI on one turbo is not the same as 10PSI on another turbo.

the mandrel thing - yes, it flows better, but hes only doing 11s, i know plenty of people running 11s with crush bent.

and the intake thing - its a turbo, he could just put a filter on there and be fine.

1. Anyone running crush bent is a moron, I'm sorry. I spent about $650 for my 3" mandrel bent system from the turbo back, that includes the welding. A 3" crush bent is the equvialent of a 2.5" mandrel bent system. You would be surprised at how much better mandrel bends are. If I can find a system for a damn Le Baron I am sure there is one for most any car. That or any exhaust shop can have one bent up for you.

2. If you belive it is as simple as putting on a cone filter then you're a fool.

Chiquae07
11-25-2006, 01:23 AM

he has those. as for tires, he has 17's with the new koing rims wrapped in nitto 555rs or w/e. i have no idea on everything else on how he's going to get this accomplished. i know that he started out with the mazda 6s, the 4 cyclinder, 5 speed manual. i dont know, ill just find out and see. i'll find out and see within 6 months, as that is when he graduates or w/e.

S13Driftfiend
11-25-2006, 07:20 AM
i can say with confidence he is not going to run an 11. just based on the info youve given us. let us know what happens.. and i wont believe anything without seeing a timeslip!

BlackGT2000
11-25-2006, 08:21 AM

he has those. as for tires, he has 17's with the new koing rims wrapped in nitto 555rs or w/e. i have no idea on everything else on how he's going to get this accomplished. i know that he started out with the mazda 6s, the 4 cyclinder, 5 speed manual. i dont know, ill just find out and see. i'll find out and see within 6 months, as that is when he graduates or w/e.

The Mazda 6s is a 6 cylinder not a 4

G-man422
11-25-2006, 08:25 AM
when is he getting this turbo?

Chiquae07
11-25-2006, 08:36 AM
i have no idea yet. prob maybe may or june. i dont think that he'll put it on till i move where he is located, so we can have a quick race of showin him how slow my car is lol. then its time to buy a new car and go from there.

g-man, i have no idea which mazda 6 it is. its the one with the 4 cylinder. thats all i know. it came with 4 speakers to my knowage, and no navigation, no nothing extra

G-man422
11-25-2006, 08:42 AM
ok thanks man.

Cant wait till you show him what the sentra can do.

freakray
11-25-2006, 09:40 AM
g-man, i have no idea which mazda 6 it is. its the one with the 4 cylinder. thats all i know. it came with 4 speakers to my knowage, and no navigation, no nothing extra

The 'i' model is a 4 cylinder.

It's encouraging that you identify cars by how many speakers they have :lol:

Chiquae07
11-25-2006, 11:05 PM
if my car lasts that long. yes its a 2001, but its transmission is known to have enourmous probelms, the automatics on the 2.0 sr20de. if it keep up, im going to clean up the car as much as possible, do a trade in on it and buy another car. thats the best option. my range will be about 10k, as i need to keep what i have saved up to use for college now. i'll make a thread about it soon enough, as its been done plenty times before. but, i have no idea if it'll happen just yet, and the car will nbeed to be able to handle long distances, as it will be drive from wi, to fl, in june or july

slideways...
11-27-2006, 11:43 PM
hmmmm. i never heard about those automatic SR tranny problems...my old car got neutral dropped repeatedly for a whole summer and shifted like a manual all the time, and when it got totalled, wasnt even slipping at all. but then again i used b&m trick shift synthetic fluid, but im not sure how much this helped. also im not sure if my 95 spec sr20 had the same tranny as your 00 spec sr20's tranny.

-The Stig-
11-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Doesn't the 2000 Sentra have a QR25DE, and not the SR20?

Isn't the QR a variation of the SR just not as badass?

slideways...
11-29-2006, 04:20 PM
no to both questions.
the 00 and 01 sentras came as the 1.8L gxe and base model, or the 2.0 SE.
the 2.5 didnt come out till 02
and if anything the qr25 is more of an evolved KA24 than anything else. not stronger, just more advanced.

Add your comment to this topic!