'94 PA Battery Discharge

cconsult
11-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Today woke up only to find my battery completely dead, even gauges
didn't work, the car had been sitting for a few days.
This happened last year after letting it sit for a 3 days, so I am
assuming that it is a current drain when shut off, however I had
that checked about 6 months ago and it was less than 100ma. drain
which was acceptable.
I am suspecting the antenna or security system as possiblities,
anyone else had this problem and how did you troubleshoot it ?

Thanks,

Cntrysthbst
11-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Hmmm, three days. Well, you do have air shocks in the back, the compressor fills them up when needed, one small leak, and/or worn rear air shock can cause the compressor to run more, and if you live in a cold climate it makes it worse. I had this problem with the battery dying and had to bypass the compressor and put an air kit on the back.

As far as the antenna goes, it dont think thats it, does it still run after its down? You can always turn the radio on and let the antenna go up and disconnect the relay, this will keep the antenna in the up postion so you can listen to the radio. This will prevent power to the antenna. The relay is on the antenna itself on your 94, well should be anyways, mine is. Anyways if your battery still dies, its not the antenna.

You can always check voltage drops, etc., by disconnecting the fuses one by one to see what is drawing current, once you find the fuse then you go from there with whats involved with that curcuit.

When mine was dying I had no current lose from any fuse. So I took a baby monitor and put it in the garage after I heard the compressor run prematurely. Sure enough my compressor was running about every 15 minutes or so which took the battery down to nothing by morning.

Hope this helps for starters....

rotaran
11-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Well, my battery was killed by the "Twilight sentinel". Since i turn it off i have no problem.

Mike

cconsult
11-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, three days. Well, you do have air shocks in the back, the compressor fills them up when needed, one small leak, and/or worn rear air shock can cause the compressor to run more, and if you live in a cold climate it makes it worse. I had this problem with the battery dying and had to bypass the compressor and put an air kit on the back.

As far as the antenna goes, it dont think thats it, does it still run after its down? You can always turn the radio on and let the antenna go up and disconnect the relay, this will keep the antenna in the up postion so you can listen to the radio. This will prevent power to the antenna. The relay is on the antenna itself on your 94, well should be anyways, mine is. Anyways if your battery still dies, its not the antenna.

You can always check voltage drops, etc., by disconnecting the fuses one by one to see what is drawing current, once you find the fuse then you go from there with whats involved with that curcuit.

When mine was dying I had no current lose from any fuse. So I took a baby monitor and put it in the garage after I heard the compressor run prematurely. Sure enough my compressor was running about every 15 minutes or so which took the battery down to nothing by morning.

Hope this helps for starters....

Thanks for suggestions, now another question. I never seem to hear the
compressor turn on, I may just not hear it when I am there.
Is there anyway to make the compressor come, maybe push down on
rear of car ?
Also is the fuse controlling the air bags called CCR, looking at the fuse
panel this seemed to be the only one that might apply ?

Thanks again,

cconsult
11-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, my battery was killed by the "Twilight sentinel". Since i turn it off i have no problem.

Mike

Thanks, that is easy, I'll give it try, the only problem I have is that I have
to not drive the car for at least about 2-3 days before it is a problem.

Cntrysthbst
11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
CCR= computer command ride on models equiped.

You would need to add a few pounds to the trunk for a little period of time before the compressor kicks on.

Have you checked all the fuses? Some will have juice but should not pull it. A volt meter will help in this process. Got to go will come back to this later.

Add your comment to this topic!