Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rust on doors

90sabre
11-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Hello, I have a 99 Ram 1500. Both of the doors are showing rust at the very bottom. I would say about a 1 inch strip accross the bottom of the doors. It appears to just be surface rust at a glance, but after looking at it further there are small pieces rusting off. How can I fix this problem before its gets worse? I'm afraid if i start sanding i will take off part of the bottom of the door. Any suggestions? I live in the Northeast so rust is always an issue. :(
Thanks!

troy1
11-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Here in the midwest rusty rams are very common. Me peronally I would get new doors (aftermarket) have them put on and painted.

Troy

90sabre
11-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Here in the midwest rusty rams are very common. Me peronally I would get new doors (aftermarket) have them put on and painted.

Troy

I appreciate the info and ideally thats what I would do. But I would like a cheaper fix for now(just to make it thru the winter) that still looks good. Thanks!

jveik
11-28-2006, 09:38 AM
if its temporary, then just stick a bunch of bondo on it. that will hold up easily over the winter till you can get some new doors on it. it should last at least 3 or 4 months before it starts to bubble up thru the paint again

BleedDodge
11-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Neither of my trucks have rust on the doors. My GMC is rusty though.

tony37
12-04-2006, 12:23 AM
If I were you I would take it to a Dodge dealer, you have a lifetime warranty against rust on the body. I have a 99 ram, and they are made with galvinized steel. They all have a lifetime warranty, so if it is rusting, they will cover it. I have to say though, I have never seen a Gen II with rust and I live in montana where they use that stupid solution on the roads. I even have a couple spots that I have chipped paint and have no rust. Good luck.(I know about this because my father sells Dodge and told me about it, they still have that warranty on the new ones too)

edbrycem
12-04-2006, 08:18 AM
I have a 98 ram w/ a little rust and i live in wisconsin and there are ALOT of rams w/ALOT rust.I never heard of a warranty not to rust. Is there some kind of exclusion w/ this why people don't get it fixed?

90sabre
12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
If I were you I would take it to a Dodge dealer, you have a lifetime warranty against rust on the body. I have a 99 ram, and they are made with galvinized steel. They all have a lifetime warranty, so if it is rusting, they will cover it. I have to say though, I have never seen a Gen II with rust and I live in montana where they use that stupid solution on the roads. I even have a couple spots that I have chipped paint and have no rust. Good luck.(I know about this because my father sells Dodge and told me about it, they still have that warranty on the new ones too)

Really?!?I'll have to check into this, that would be sweet! I live in the Northeast near the ocean, so we get the salt from the snow season, and also from the ocean. I try not to even park near the beach tho. Thanks.

BleedDodge
12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Has anyone got pics of their rusty Dodge doors?

Add your comment to this topic!