Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CV joint replacement

Catnipsta
11-22-2006, 03:42 AM
Hi

I am planning to replace my front outer cv joints on my 1999 transporter T4 van, as the knocking sound coming from them have been getting worse.

Could somebody tell me whether I need any special tools (apart from the general mechanics tools such as wrenches etc..) in order to carry out this replacement. I am fairly mechanically skilled (have changed the brake discs & pads..radiator etc...)

I would normally leave this work to professional mechanics, but my outer cv joints continues to wear out about every 18 months, and would be beneficial for me to change them myself.

many thanks in advance

veedubmechanic
11-27-2006, 12:57 PM
you will need tripple square sockets. They are available on ebay for about 25.oo for a full set. they are vw specialty tools

Catnipsta
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
I had a search on ebay..no luck..nor on google.

Are you by any chance referring to the spline M14 bolt? Cos my initial attempt yesterday was stopped dead when I needed a 14mm spline bit to undo the bolts that holds the suspension ball jointto thewheel bearing housing. Could not find any supplier for that size, so eventually ordered from ebay.

One further question...is it really necessary to release the tension of the torsion bar? cos this would need the removal the fuel tank in order to get to the "ride height" adjusting nut. I could not imagine the cost of £300-400 (price I had paid in the past) to include this additional work.

your comments will be appreciated.

veedubmechanic
12-13-2006, 11:56 AM
yes, the nut for the torsion bar needs to be loosened ( make sure to measure the mm from the end to the nut so whenyou tighten the alignment will stay the same.

Add your comment to this topic!