Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What color for S2000?

lotus_man
09-15-2002, 12:00 PM
I'm doing a mild custom S2000 (Mugen bonnet, new side skirts, rear defuser, turned alluminum mufflers etc). But I'm stuck for colors...

I can't decide betwean-

TS50 Mica Blue

or

TS51 Telefonica Blue

or

TS45 Pearl White with a Satin Black hood

So I thought i'd open it to the masses for comments...

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-15-2002, 12:24 PM
They're all nice colors. That said, I don't like the stock light blue on the 2002 S2000. I think the car looks best in the lighter shades, the silver/platinum, yellow, and white. The blue is light but bland.

Of all your choices, I like the pearl white w/the carbon hood. Should look really sharp. What color interior? Red would work for me.

daggerlee
09-15-2002, 12:34 PM
TS-51 sprayed on a little dark (It's actually a pretty dark metallic blue).

lotus_man
09-15-2002, 01:23 PM
If I go white w/ carbon hood, the interior will probably be red with black/carbon detailing. What will match the hood and the mufflers I'm turning up which will be TVR Tuscan like, i.e. carbon fibre finish.

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-15-2002, 01:58 PM
There's a demo on the Tamiya website showing how to airbrush a carbon fiber look. You start w/the dark colour, then lay a screen/mesh material over the surface, then lightly apply the lighter "silvery" colour. Sounds like it might work pretty nice, though I haven't yet attempted it myself. I'd rather try paint, decals hate me:(

daggerlee
09-15-2002, 01:59 PM
I think you mean TS-44 by the way (brilliant blue)

zoom zoom - tried it once, it's very hard to make the mesh stay in place over curved surfaces (like an air intake.. ugh!)

flyonthewall
09-15-2002, 02:57 PM
If you would like to save yourself some work I have the Mugen hood available. Pictured here is the cast resin piece alongside one i've added CF decal to which still needs attention to the vents.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/5142681.jpg

For colour i say go for white which will look different. Mine is going to get a coat of Renault Monaco Blue which looks luuurrvvvly!!!

lotus_man
09-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Thanks Chris, I may be in touch about the hood. I've modded mine already, the putty is drying right now. This is my first serious attempt at body work, so I'm waiting to see how it goes! I'm gonna stick a GT wing on the back, are your etched ones ready yet?

I also just realised I miss-typed the third option in the poll, I was thinking about something else at the time. It should have been TS-45 Pearl White with Satin Black hood. DOH!!!

Anywayz, white and black it is, with a red and black interior. Pics as and when.

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Anywayz, white and black it is, with a red and black interior.

That's going to look great. Can't wait to see that one:smoker2:

Purpura Delujo
09-15-2002, 03:47 PM
Just what I would of said anyway, white with black and red interior. Should look nice, sorta like the one on the box? How long for pics?

flyonthewall
09-15-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by lotus_man
I'm gonna stick a GT wing on the back, are your etched ones ready yet?

In the process of having the CAD drawings done so they should be done in the next two weeks ready for start. They are made so that they can be stuck onto the model after its painted and all finished. Look forward to seeing your version.;)

primera man
09-16-2002, 06:32 AM
I like the sound of the pearl white and black hood for me

lotus_man
09-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Very early photos. Sorry for the quality, it's dark and my camera doesn't like artificial light. Also my webserver is down at the moment, so I'll have to post them individually. Ho hum...

This is a bare plastic mockup. The holes for the Mugen style bonnet are cut, and faired in. I need to prime the hood and check the finish next. Wheels are R32 Skyline 17s with Brembros from a GT1 911.

lotus_man
09-16-2002, 02:30 PM
Another view of the front. I'm think I might go Marga Hills'esqe, but with a more pronounced spliter effect. Not sure yet...

lotus_man
09-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Rear view. I've started building the splitter/ground effects and fairing them in. Needs a bit more work. I won't be able to finish it until I've had a chance to turn up the mufflers and I cans see what the look like. I may well fit a carbon under try, sort of like the Mugen one.

More pics when I have made more progress!!!

Jay!
09-16-2002, 02:43 PM
:eek: Lookin' good so far!! :D It'll be fun to compare yours approach to Chris'. Originally posted by lotus_man
Also my webserver is down at the moment, so I'll have to post them individually.Just a reminder that you can use http://www.automotiveforums.com/upload ;)

lotus_man
09-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the tip Jay.

If mine comes out half as good as Chris', I'll be a :Dvery happy:D modeller!!!

flyonthewall
09-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Its starting to look familiar!;)

Good work thus far.

tonioseven
09-16-2002, 04:31 PM
are making me want an S2K!!:cool:

Add your comment to this topic!