Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'97, Who's replaced the Oil cooler lines to the Rad.

mike2004tct
11-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Didn't find it in the How-to section, so I'll ask here and wait for the move.

I had my cooler lines replaced under warranty back in '98.
The fittings on the filter block side are leaking again (the tubes that run up to the radiator, not the engine block lines)

Here's the question. Picked the lines up today at Napa (same exact Manufacturer that Advance sells for $29.00- I paid $31.00 Napa's walking distance away, Advance is 10 miles).
Inside the bag are 2 small retaining clips- 3 quarter circles about 3/4" dia.
What are they for, the radiator end to hold the hoses on?

I haven't taken it apart yet- but I can see there's no nuts on the tube end for the radiator connections, just plastic sleeve/covers. I'll probably wait till my next day off (Black Friday)

mike2004tct
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
OK, Idiot boy answered his own question.

Took a quick look under the hood at the top tube fitting. Pretty tight in there.
The clip holds the tube into the radiator. So, looks to be about a 30 minute
4 scrapped knuckles job. I'll do it when I change the oil and filter this coming weekend.

Cloud Strife
11-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Well at least it didn't turn out too bad. Have you turned on the vehicle yet to see if it is leaking anymore?

BlazerLT
11-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I think there are some crush washers you have to use as well.

mike2004tct
11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
I think there are some crush washers you have to use as well.

Yep, there's one on the filter block end, nice little retangular aluminum washer with rubber inserts at the inlet/outlet holes. The radiator end has some plastic round caps that slide over the radiator nipples, then the clips go over the plastic caps- caps have 2 small slits for the clips to dig into the hose gittings.

mike2004tct
11-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Did the change-out yesterday. Wasn't too bad, didn't scrape ANY knuckles - bonus.
I had to take the air filter box out to get at the bottom radiator hose, that was the most difficult part because of the crammed area my fat stubby arthritic(sp) fingers had to work in. Took about 30 minutes to do, and now no more drip-drip-drip.:iceslolan

The hoses that go to the engine block are still in good shape, but if I ever need to replace those, boy that'll be quite the job. The block connections are right above the transfer case, and there's no room to get at the bolt for the tubes. That one will be a pain.

Add your comment to this topic!