Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

looking for cheap easy hp gain

jeff983000gt
11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
ok..so i already have the full borla exhaust and intake system..i only have the base model 98 3000gt so i figure i have around 180-190 hp as it is now..i want to get over the 200 mark..any easy ways without any bull crap resistors or cheap chips? how bout like underdrive crank pulleys..there like 60$ on ebay and says it gives like 10 hp? ive heard about porting the throttle body and could give like 10 hp or so..? anyone have suggestions to give easy hp..or something cheap???

Ralliart 3000gt
11-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Vr-4 Conversion would be your best bet :icon16:

Ralliart 3000gt
11-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Oh sorry and Welcome!!!!

Igovert500
11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Ok first off, your car came with 161hp 8 years ago. And realistically, that catback and intake may have gotten you to 170ish now. 2 things to know about aftermarket companies hp claims. a)they are usually completely exaggerated. b) they don't add up. Say one says 15hp for their intake, and another says 15hp for their catback. Realistically, you may have netted 10hp between the two.

I will gaurentee you that intake only got you ~2hp. As far as I know, Borla doesn't make NA downpipes, so that full exhaust is most likely a catback. Borlas catback is 2.5" to 2" splits, and has enough mufflers and resonators to reduce any real gains you may have seen.

So I say you may have hit 170hp, but 180 or 190 is extremely optimistic at best.

If you check out our FAQ there is an 'NA upgrade bible' with some ideas. Underdrive pulley is one of them. If you do a search for 'underdrive pulley' you will find that the pros and cons have been discussed hundreds of times. Porting the throttle body IMO isn't worth it in the least. Your throttle body isn't a restriction to you at this point.

My advice would be to a) save $700 and buy the 3sx long tube headers (http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItemBundle.asp?idProduct=1062) if you want to stick with simple bolt ons.

Or if you want noticeable power gains and are serious about the 200+ goal, go for some forced induction. A supercharger, or twin turbo conversion are both convered in teh FAQ. Or even just a small wetshot of nitrous would get you there.

2old
11-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Assuming you mean the borla is cat-back, the biggest HP robber is the Downpipe and Cat... If you haven't done that already get an after-market downpipe (or even better, 3SX long headers) and high flow cat.

I personally would rather take the weight off the flywheel then the pulley to avoid the harmonic damper argument (and I don't like underdrive pulleys... It brings out the electrical gremlins which are way harder to fix) but that this a more expensive route.

From there the power increases get smaller the more you spend (IE: port polishing), unless you go NOx or FI (in the case of FI it would be cheaper to get a VR-4) you are looking at weight reduction...

AutostradaVR4
11-20-2006, 04:45 PM
:1: for the nitrous. Best bang for the buck.

jeff983000gt
11-20-2006, 05:53 PM
yes..i understand what your saying..i deff think im over 170 tho...the borla exhuast is cat-back..sry..but..i customized the straight pipe in to 1 muffler..less restriction..i can feel the power gain just through the exhaust..the intake i agree..no more then 5 hp..nitrous is out of the question..the down pipe is a good idea..lil more then i want to spend tho..plus i gotta keep the car legal for inspection..as of now my exhaust only has 1 muffler and the main cat up front..i was hoping for more simpler ideas though, i know a guy who ports heads..he said he would do my car for 500$??? anymore ideas??

AutostradaVR4
11-20-2006, 07:16 PM
high-flow cat, like 2old said. its emissions legal and half the price of porting the heads. But it still wont put you over 200hp.

jeff983000gt
11-20-2006, 08:19 PM
can you get a high flow cat for the main cat up front..it has a sensor on it? can you buy one for that? i would do that..

2old
11-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Are you cali spec or normal?

There should be just one O2 sensor before the cat... Changing the cat does not affect the emissions compliance.

If you have cali spec one you can still change the main cat (after the downpipe) but I am not sure there is anything you can do about the pre-cat.

jeff983000gt
11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
well i eliminated the cat after the downpipe..i was wondering on the pre cat? i saw some things on 3sx that eliminate the pre cat and have the sensor on it and everything but it didnt say if it was for sohc or not??? do you have any other ideas for easy hp?

Twizted_3KGT
11-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Well if you're shooting for 200 whp you're a long shot away...cuz you're probably at about 150 now.

VR43000GT
11-21-2006, 12:50 AM
I agree with what has been said accept for the TT conversion. 1) it is def not cheap 2) You have a SOHC = not easy to convert at all.

Igovert500
11-21-2006, 01:23 AM
plus i gotta keep the car legal for inspection..as of now my exhaust only has 1 muffler and the main cat up front

well i eliminated the cat after the downpipe..

That made no sense. Either you eliminated the main cat or you didn't. And if you are worried about emissions, eliminating the main cat is definantly not something you want to do. You asked about hte 3sx downpipe...it doesn't eliminate any cats, but it removes a huge exhaust restriction.

You are welcome to believe your car has as much hp as you want, but I suggest you dyno it... And as far as cheap hp...these are not cheap cars, that's just hte bottom line. You want cheap and power aren't very compatible. Generally it's one or the other. Your best options have already been recommended. If you don't want to take our advice, fine, it's your car, your perogative. Spend a grand and port and polish away...but when you're only at 180hp a thousand dollars later, you will wish you had spent the money more wisely.

Linebckr49
11-21-2006, 02:18 AM
your car can be 2 of 3:

-Fast
-Reliable
-Cheap

Add your comment to this topic!