Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vomiting New Half-Shaft

doratheexplorer
11-20-2006, 09:47 AM
I replaced the left half-shaft on a 1995 3.0 (3-speed tranny FWD) 3 months ago with a new Cardone (partsamerica online) only to have the inner boot puncture and collapse this week (I crawl under the van and nap during Saturday morning pregame). The inner joint is near flush with the power transfer unit, and the hub nut torqued 140 ft-lb. However, I noticed during install the inner joint felt compressed and the boot crumpled more so than the original. I had read that new shafts may need adjustment, but I received no adjustment material from Cardone. Anyone know an adjustment procedure or what I may have missed during installation?

KManiac
11-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Now, I just replace both front axles on my 1998. No problems with mine, but I do have some comments.

The left shaft has a retaining ring on the inside end. When you removed the old one, you should of had to pull on it real hard to release the retaining ring on the old shaft. The directions for the replacement shaft should have told you to install it, then try to pull it out with little force to make sure the retaining ring had seated correctly. If it seat correctly, the shaft would be locked in place. If not seated correctly, the shaft would have slid out with little effort. If the shaft is not seated correctly, the inner joint may be forced to collapse. That might be your problem.

doratheexplorer
11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the response, KM. I rechecked the old shaft, no retaining ring...ditto for the new Cardone. I'm thinking I got shafted (bad pun intended) by the partsamerica database or poor Cardone package labeling. Not the first time--purchased a motor mount that turned out to be twice the size of the original. I'll slap a universal quick-boot asap for a temporary fix.

daddy0_4
11-21-2006, 05:39 AM
I had the same issue on a 93 3.3. found that the drivers side and the front motor mounts were shot which allowed the trans end to drop to far and rip the boot on drivers side. hope this helps.

doratheexplorer
11-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the response, daddy0_4. When I first fit the left shaft and observed the crumpled boot, I checked and tinkered with the motor and tranny mounts to see if I could get a better fit.

I'm thinking I installed the wrong shaft, that is, received the wrong part. However, it's possible that there is a retaining ring on the new shaft and it isn't completely installed. I doubt the latter because the inner joint is darn near flush with the power transfer unit, so there's not much length to omit from the shaft if this were the problem.

daddy0_4
11-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Did you get it figured out yet? Don't take this personally but did you order the correct one for your vehicle-fwd or awd- just a thought

doratheexplorer
11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I cut the ripped boot off and slapped on a quickboot, which started spraying grease immediately. I'll wait until this shaft is shot (clicking) before heading to an Autozone branch to view, measure, and purchase a rebuilt shaft.

doratheexplorer
01-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Over the holidays, I purchased and installed a rebuilt shaft. This fit perfectly and cost half the price. The first replacement shaft worked just fine for 6 weeks. It did not click or vibrate the van (>50 mph) after losing grease in the inner joint, but it was more difficult to remove than the original because of its extended length.

I've learned not to buy new when it comes to drive shafts.

SavageAddict
01-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm about to do this to my 02, how much tranny fluid did you have to replace?

Add your comment to this topic!