Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto Transmission Ques: code: p0734 gear 4 incorrect

danblackracing
11-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Early this year I started receiving the code p0734 gear 4 incorrect.

The driving experience was this:

Driving home late on night I believe I hit the shifter by accident, about 5 minutes after putting it back in gear, the Service Engine light came on.
I then noticed the next few days that the car would shift erratically to into 3rd and 4th. After this it would lock me out of third and fourth after slowing to the second or first gear range. This was fun I tell yah. Going from Pittsford to Greece in 2nd.

A day later I noticed it would give me back 3rd and 4th if I let the transmission cool for a few minutes.

The next day I kept it out of 4th for testing (OD switch). Bingo. Works fine. I had the shop clear the light and I've been golden since (6 months). Funny thing is, my m.p.g. has only dropped about 10-20 miles. Not too shabby. That's almost enough to say OD is a waste depending on driving habits.

This is probably just auto transmissions getting back at me for saying that I hate them so much. Figures this would happen the one time I get one in my life...
My question is has anyone experienced the same issue with this p0734 gear 4 code and behavior?

If so, how was it repaired? I'd be nice to have OD back for the long hauls.

I have already swapped out the TCU twice.

1999 Eclipse GS

Add your comment to this topic!