White Milky substance in oil

pjfire
11-19-2006, 01:02 PM
My daughters 94 GA Quad 4 has a milky substance in her oil when I checked the dipstick. Any ideas on what this is or what is going on?????

xeroinfinity
11-19-2006, 02:09 PM
That would be moisture or from coolant.

Has it been loosing any coolant lately?

If so I'd STOP driving it till its fixed !
Coolant/water in the oil will ruin your bearings/engine and then you'd need to rebuild it, or replace the engine.

pjfire
11-19-2006, 02:17 PM
She just told me when she steps on the gas she hears what sounds like running water.

crazy Jim
11-19-2006, 02:55 PM
yeah, better shut the water off and replace those washers in the faucet

GTP Dad
11-19-2006, 03:33 PM
The water she hears may be water accumulated in the heater box. I would make sure the drain is open by running a coat hanger into the drain. This is located on the firewall near the front of the engine. Also check to see if the drains are open on the doors.

As for the white stuff on the dipstick. Xeroinfinity is right. If you are losing coolant you may want to stop driving. If she only drives very short distances it is possible that this is just condensation that has built up in the crankcase and has not burned off. I would change the oil right away and check the color and the amount. If it looks like chocolate milk you have bigger issues. If it looks normal then condensation is the issue and the oil should be changed more frequently. If the oil looks like chocolate milk don't drive it anymore until you get it fixed.

xeroinfinity
11-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Also the water running sound could just be the coolant passing through the heater core itself.
Even my 99's do this from time to time.

Add your comment to this topic!