My Hemi Just Blew Up

Lookin4aTruck
11-19-2006, 12:52 PM
My 03 1500 Quad Cab blew 2 Saturdays back. Just a heads up. The keeper came off the valve, which they still have not found. Its in the motor somewhere. Broke the head, bent the valve and pushrod and scared the piston up. They are putting in a new short block and head. Gonna be over 2 weeks before I can get it back and they have already had it over a week now.

Truck was serviced every 3k miles at this very dealership where it was purchased by me in 2003. It only had 49,000 miles on it and it is paid for. And I babied the truck to death. Also the rotors warped and the drivers side wheel bearing also failed a few months back If it was not for the 7/70 warranty that was offered at the time I would be up shit creek because he said all this was probably gonna cost 6 to 7 grand.

I am thinking seriously about trading it within the next year now. Maybe for the new 6.7 Cummins but Dodge has let me down big time in the confidence department now. I would only get the Cummins if I were to buy a new dodge because they don't have the 7/70 warranty any longer and most other brands are offering a 5 year or 60k waranty now like Ford. And Cadilac offers a 5 year 100k warranty also I think. That was one of the reasons I went with Dodge was that warranty and love the Dodge Chrysler styling and products. Don't know if I will like the new diesel but am gonna test drive one when they come out.

Just be on the look out if you have an older Hemi they are having valve spring problems and it could lead to this.

BleedDodge
11-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Interesting. Seems like lots of these trucks are turning out to be junk now. It's too bad.

bloodyprice
11-21-2006, 03:01 PM
yah chrysler has gone down a bit, i blame it on Mercedes, i have a jeep grand cherokee, my father owns a Ram 1500 with the Magnum V8 in it, and my mother has a sebring Jx.

they run great and ive been raised around chrysler, but from what i hear about the new stuff is that it dosent last.

i like it as long as its american though, i dont have a problem with chevy or ford.

maybe its time to try something new.

rodbls
11-21-2006, 06:37 PM
yah chrysler has gone down a bit, i blame it on Mercedes, i have a jeep grand cherokee, my father owns a Ram 1500 with the Magnum V8 in it, and my mother has a sebring Jx.

they run great and ive been raised around chrysler, but from what i hear about the new stuff is that it dosent last.

i like it as long as its american though, i dont have a problem with chevy or ford.

maybe its time to try something new.

Um, Dont mean to be cross forum posting, but this made me laugh. I am pretty sure it's the other way around. I think Chrysler is the reason Mercedes are now crap...not vise versa.

BleedDodge
11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
How can you blame it on either company? Both were building bulletproof unbreakable stuff until the merge.

bloodyprice
11-22-2006, 09:36 AM
well thats true, they were both good companies until they merged.

maybe theyre just trying too hard.

Lookin4aTruck
12-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Just got my truck back yesterday. They changed everything but the head on the passenger's side. Everything seems fine so far they said just to baby it for the first 500 miles or so.

I looked at the heavy duty models. I noticed all the Dodges were strait axle in the front on these models. I thought Ford,Gm etc had IFS on the heavy dutys? I am just wondering how the ride is? Know a guy who traded a powerstroke for the Cummins and said it had more power but the Ford rode better.

Well I am gonna wait until next year and tryout a new 6.7 Cummins with the six speed and also the new Toyota Tundra. I'll make a decision then or keep my current truck.

silverado122775
12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
The chevys do have IFS. Chevy is known to ride better then Ford or Dodge because of it.

dcx96
02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Please don't buy a Toyota, i'll even offer you my employee price on that new dodge. yeah i know.:nono: :feedback:

04cummins
02-27-2007, 01:32 PM
sry to hear about you truck. Yea for as long as I know dodge has kept the simplicity of the soild front axle except for when they changed the body style in the 1500. I love the ride of my 2500 with the cummins in it, I have a friend with a chevy 2500 heavy duty with the 6.0 in it and i think my truck with the coils almost rides just as nice. I know there are going to be people to refute that statment. As far as the 6.7 cummins goes i dont know much about it but they had to bump up the C.I. to maintain roughy the same horsepower and torque as the older 5.9 due to emissions.I also dont know if they still have the 100,000 mile warrenty on the engine? I have heard though that GM has a 100,000 mile warrenty on their new trucks drivetrain. has anyone else heard that?

corning_d3
02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
The Cummins is the best thing dodge has going right now. If I had to buy a dodge truck(but i won't) it would be the 2500 megacab SWB diesel.

corning_d3
02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
The Cummins is the best thing dodge has going right now. If I had to buy a dodge truck(but i won't) it would be the 2500 megacab SWB diesel.

04cummins
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
wait your a chrysler service tech but your all about GM? Yea I wont refute that statment, but I do like the solid front axle alot better than IFS. Do you know what type of axle dodge is running under their trucks for 07? Dana or AAM?

Tater049
03-04-2007, 12:34 AM
for the guy who said mercedes is crap, i disagree. I have a 2005 E55 AMG and have had no problems with it. And i drive it hard. Anyway, sorry to hear about the ram, mine has had no problems with it, and i drive that thing hard too.

corning_d3
03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
wait your a chrysler service tech but your all about GM? Yea I wont refute that statment, but I do like the solid front axle alot better than IFS. Do you know what type of axle dodge is running under their trucks for 07? Dana or AAM?
I work on Dodge's for job security, HA! No I'm kidding, but seriously, dodge products aren't bad and all car manufacturers are going to have some problems. Don't hold me to it, but I've noticed a move away from the dana's to the american axle on the heavy duty 2500 and 3500's. Let me do some research on that for you monday. I'm more partial to the dana's as they seem to take more abuse. We got in a 2500 cummins 4WD AAM axle friday with "a noise in the front-end". We started at the transfer case and moved forward. I grabbed the front drive shaft while the truck was on a drive-on lift and it spun freely and thought thats not right, since the axle stays coupled with the driveshaft at all times. Grabbed the pass. front u-joint and gave it a jiggle and it moved, ALOT! Pulled of the rotor, wheel bearing and knuckle and the u-joint ass'y came out with the wheelbearing. The shaft snapped about 3" back from the yoke! And it has a huge axle shaft. But it looked to me like there was some porosity in the steel, so...

04cummins
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Haha nice. Yea everytime i see a new dodge it either has a dana or aam and I thought when they switched to the new body style in 03 for the 2500/3500 they went with aam, but i guess i was wrong. I have aam axles and I wish I had dana's under it, because as you said I think they are alot more durable and have been around for along time. I know dynatrac makes a free-spin kit for the 2500 but I think its only for the dana version.

corning_d3
03-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I did some more research today and all 2500/3500's 03' and up are using the AAM. All 1500's are using a chrysler brand axle. AAM has it's own traction control but I forgot what it's called...

matth320
05-06-2007, 11:45 AM
yeha, not surprising, my 03 has had over 2k bucks in repairs and replacements done with only 60k miles, im tryin to save for a f150 or a taco, but since dodge has the worst gas mileage and its gettin almost $3 a gallon now, not much extra money comes my way, also since the resale also sucks on dodge, i can't get much more than i already owe, i've learned my lesson the hard way.... DONT BUY A DODGE!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!