Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear drive conversion

NoMotive
09-14-2002, 03:56 PM
Bored and curious... has there been any attempt at turning a Honda compact into a rear-drive? If thats even feasable... get better starts an less torque steer. I kno S2000 is, but its a roadster.

kidrocket
09-15-2002, 04:37 AM
ive seen a CRX with an NSX motor and rwd setup shoehorned into the back.

Rice_destroyer
09-15-2002, 12:16 PM
i remember some dude from cali was selling a rear wheel drive converted civic. i saw a few of the pix and it looked pretty mean if you ask me. i don't think that the car was streetable anymore though because the motor sat in bay with timing side towards the front of the car.

NoMotive
09-15-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Rice_destroyer
i remember some dude from cali was selling a rear wheel drive converted civic. i saw a few of the pix and it looked pretty mean if you ask me. i don't think that the car was streetable anymore though because the motor sat in bay with timing side towards the front of the car.

Crazy, the amount of fabricating needed would make me question how the car actually ran. Im sure it can drag like hell tho. Like dat CRX kidrockets talking about.

salsee
09-15-2002, 12:27 PM
I am an Engineer for Honda in OH, where the Accord and Civic are built. There was a side project where some guys took and drive train out of a CR-V and built an all wheel drive Civic. Although the CR-V and the Civic share the same platform there was still a lot of special frame modification done, but I here that the car was awesome. It was tested with the cars from HART (Honda of America Race Team). I have know idea where it is now. There are always some sort of crazy project going on there under R&D. They even turbocharged a civic and ran it on the huge oval test track just for kicks.

NoMotive
09-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Your job sounds fun! I wonder if there would be a market for AWD turbo civic... give WRX a good fight.

delsolsi
09-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Three or four years ago I saw an add in autotrader for a mid 80's civic hatchback with a Legend V6 in the back. It had a wide body kit with intakes in the rear fenderwells. I don't remeber for sure but I think the guy was selling it for $10,000. It was in there a long time, I don't know if any one ended up buying it or not.

kidrocket
09-16-2002, 12:02 AM
that sounds like a pretty mean little car

Add your comment to this topic!