Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OIL 03 Monte Carlo

bo'03Monte
11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
My low engine oil light came on a few days ago and I took it to have an oil change today. They called me to the shop and showed me that my dipstick was not even registering that my car had any oil in it. Normally when I get an oil change its been at least 1 qrt low on oil because I drive so much. I have 104,000 miles on it and I didnt think anything of the light because it's normally low but that light has never came on before. I really would like to know how many quarts of oil a 2003 3.4 V6 Engine holds. The paper said they put 4.6 Qrts into my engine today. I was under the impression that my car takes 5-6 Qrts of oil. Someone please help me. I cant afford for my car to blow up right now..lol...

Thanks

Rally Sport
11-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Well.. according to my owner's manual.. a 3.4 takes 4 quarts

Maybe you got an oil leak?

maxwedge
11-18-2006, 08:59 AM
My low engine oil light came on a few days ago and I took it to have an oil change today. They called me to the shop and showed me that my dipstick was not even registering that my car had any oil in it. Normally when I get an oil change its been at least 1 qrt low on oil because I drive so much. I have 104,000 miles on it and I didnt think anything of the light because it's normally low but that light has never came on before. I really would like to know how many quarts of oil a 2003 3.4 V6 Engine holds. The paper said they put 4.6 Qrts into my engine today. I was under the impression that my car takes 5-6 Qrts of oil. Someone please help me. I cant afford for my car to blow up right now..lol...

Thanks
Let me get this straight you drive with the lite on, the oil is normally low and it seems like you never check it until there is no oil!! It holds 4.5 qts with a filter. Good Luck!!

MT-2500
11-18-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks

They still make dip sticks to tell you if it is low or full on oil.
If you want your engine to live very long.
Find someone to show you the proper way to use it.
Check it after a oil change to make sure they filled it up.:grinyes:
It is best to check the oil when you refuel.
If the oil level is going down check it every morning before you start the engine.
And if the oil light comes on while driving you had better find a spot to pull over and use the dip stick to check that oil level.:grinyes: :grinno: :lol:
If the oil level is going down add to it is full and start looking for a oil leak.
Unless your car is smoking out the tail pipe it may have a oil leak.
If so get it repaired before you burn up the engine.
Also look under the car after it has been parked for a oil spot.

bo'03Monte
11-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Thank you all so much for you response. I know to check my oil level. I guess I just wasnt paying that much attention. I know better now. I was just wondering if they were putting the right amount in. I was thinking it held 6 qrts. Thanks again! You guys are great!

Add your comment to this topic!