Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diesel smell in gasoline?

wlsnoops
11-17-2006, 08:36 PM
I was having an Air Intake Control motor installed on my 95 S-10 Blazer today. The mechanic called me and said he ran a pressure check on my fuel system. He said he noticed a diesel fuel odor coming from around the engine.
After removing a fuel line, he thought the fuel felt and looked a little oily.
He asked me if I may have mistakenly put diesel fuel in the tank.
No way I would have or could have. (1) Diesel fuel dispenser nozzle is too large to fit into tank. (2) After owning a diesel powered vehicle, I know the difference at the pumps.
Other than someone deliberately trying to trash my car, is there anyway oil may have seeped into the fuel system of my 4.3 L Vortec engine?

Thanks.

Chris Stewart
11-18-2006, 12:24 AM
If you remember which station & pump you last fueled, you'd probably be doing everybody a favor to go back & just sniff the hose nozzle for a kerosene/diesel odor then you can inform the manager. I hope they didn't make the mistake twice and put gasoline in the diesel fuel tank or kerosene(for kerosene heaters...inside a house :yikes:).
Another possibility is some fuel conditioners stink too, have you put some in lately?

534BC
11-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes, perhaps someone made a mistake and put dsl in the gas tank at the station, but more likely is that it was done at the refinery on purpose.

I've been told that dsl can be put in the gas and have noticed a distinct dsl odor, yet have never had problem with vehicles running, it must be just a little bit and still gives the odor, strange.

Your vehicle probably runs fine right?

BlazerLT
11-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Get back to the station.

Why are you getting a mechanic to install a part that takes 2 minutes and an allen key to install?

Scrapper
11-18-2006, 10:13 AM
yes go to the station you put it in at...my sister put dls in my dads car at clark then couple day's later my wife put it in ay another gas clark station...but you will save other people from doing it.

BlazerLT
11-18-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't even think a normal gas engine can run off of diesel.

Scrapper
11-18-2006, 02:16 PM
oh yes it will mixed with gas..once you get it started it'll run for ever i had my mom follow me down interstate to run it out and i went miles and miles before i burnt it out..see i was going to put a little tank on it for dsl. mixed with gas because i found out how long it lasted..my thinking was get it running on gas then have a little valve to open it to dsl..so i could get miles and miles out of it..but still i haven't done it yet...

GOOD LUCK......

SCRAPPER.......

Chris Stewart
11-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Back in '71 , a pal had a '61 Impalla w/348 4bbl. /3spd. man. that was a good looking and good running car. We were 15 years old and drove that car all over the countryside until we got low on gas. His dad was an owner/operator and had a 150gal. tank of diesel for the truck. Ol' Eddie put a coupla gal. of diesel in the old Chevy and off we went smoking up the countyside...it was terrible, tons of white smoke when you gassed it but it wasn't too bad just cruising. Later on when he put some good gasoline in it, it cleaned out and ran just fine. You don't see many 348's anymore.

I wouldn't run any diesel in a gasser today, it will probably wreck the O2 sensors and will certainly hurt the catalytic converter.

BlazerLT
11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Yip, and foul the plugs.

I would have it pumped out and replaced rather than burn off a tank mixed with diesel and fould up my emmision system and my plugs.

riptide44
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
definitely go back to the station -- the fuel haulers do on occasion make mistakes ( human error ) could have loaded the wrong compartment on the tanker or ....those damn rookies ,, diesel will fire in a gas engine when mixed but gas in a diesel engine is good for a quick horsepower gain followed by a bang and oh sh%t the engine just blew up ..

534BC
11-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Hmm, it a bit late now. 4 days later. Maybe they would know something if it was indeed an accident.

More than likely snoops vehicle is running on the smelly gas a-ok .

Add your comment to this topic!