Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

!Help! please, snap/or/pop noise when turning???

95DodgeAvenger95
11-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I know i dont have an eclipse i have a 95 dodge avenger but they are basiclly the same and i figured since the ppl in the avenger fourm didnt know the answer i would ask here. when ever i back in/out of my driveway from the street my car makes a pop/snap noise. any one have a clue??? it only does it in and out of my driveway that i have noticed.

Blackcrow64
11-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Possible balljoint going bad?

95DodgeAvenger95
11-17-2006, 06:31 PM
i replaced them already b4 but i guess i can check them again,?

Blackcrow64
11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Well they were pressed in correctly right? Because if not, that could be whats causing the problem. :2cents:

Other than that I'm not sure what else it could be...

95DodgeAvenger95
11-17-2006, 06:42 PM
ok thanks alot, ill check that to make sure thanks again, never really thought about that. lol

gthompson97
11-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Shocks are probably bad. Does it do it when you hit a bump too?

david-b
11-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Mine does this too. Each time I make a turn or accelerate hard it makes a pop. Had the problem since I got the car. Figured it was shocks possibly. Some days its really bad but others not.

95DodgeAvenger95
11-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Shocks are probably bad. Does it do it when you hit a bump too?
Nope, only backing in and out of my driveway, dosent happen if i pull in or hit a bump

95DodgeAvenger95
11-18-2006, 08:49 AM
I checked the ball joints, they were fine. Is it possible that its the cv joint making the pop noise some how? ive heard from some were that the cv joint could make thats kind of noise but not sure if its true.

Blackcrow64
11-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Hmmm... It could be. Does it do it when you pull straight into your driveway or are you turning a certain direction when it happens?

You could always take it to a garage and have them give it a shake down and they could tell you real quick whats wrong with it. :2cents:

david-b
11-18-2006, 12:06 PM
You could always take it to a garage and have them give it a shake down and they could tell you real quick whats wrong with it. :2cents:

Not always true. My shop told me that it was the lower control arms, then charged me $300 for replacement without checking for recalls. The took to deal and got reimbursted. Problem still persisted as I drove out of the shop parking lot. They don't always know best. That's why I never take the car there anymore.

Blackcrow64
11-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Not always true. My shop told me that it was the lower control arms, then charged me $300 for replacement without checking for recalls. The took to deal and got reimbursted. Problem still persisted as I drove out of the shop parking lot. They don't always know best. That's why I never take the car there anymore.
Well, not every shop is gonna be that bad. The one I have here that I take the cars to occassionally for suspension issues are really good with their knowledge/experience. I talk to the one mechanic all the time and he'll get it all figured out and tell/show me everything needing replaced/fixed and then I go home and do it myself instead. lol :icon16:

I'd rather be a do it yourselfer than have a garage do it anyday with the rates they charge. lol

gthompson97
11-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Just jack up the car and start grabbing suspension parts and jerking on them. I had a problem like that on one car that we had and it ended up being the lower control arm bushings, they were shot and it kept smacking against the frame mount. I'm guessing it's something like that if it only does it on rough bumps. If it was a shock, you would be able to push down on that corner of the car and you'd hear a light knocking noise, that's when you know shocks are bad, they'll also knock over every tiny little bump too.

95DodgeAvenger95
11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Just jack up the car and start grabbing suspension parts and jerking on them. I had a problem like that on one car that we had and it ended up being the lower control arm bushings, they were shot and it kept smacking against the frame mount. I'm guessing it's something like that if it only does it on rough bumps. If it was a shock, you would be able to push down on that corner of the car and you'd hear a light knocking noise, that's when you know shocks are bad, they'll also knock over every tiny little bump too.
ya but there is no bump into my drive way,

gthompson97
11-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Your driveway is perfectly flat with the road?

95DodgeAvenger95
11-18-2006, 04:50 PM
yes it is flat.

Thor06
11-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Does the noise happen only one pop and does it happen right when you stop after backing up? The Cavy does that too, I dont know what it is but I think it has something to do with the drum brakes in back.

david-b
11-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Well like I know mine is coming from the front when mine does it. Also don't have drums anywhere on the car. IDK about the other guy

95DodgeAvenger95
11-18-2006, 07:52 PM
the noise comes from the front of the car and it does it while im in motion and only does it once.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
That seems pretty odd that it would do it only once. On my talon when the cv joints were bad it was more of a ticking sound coming from the wheel well when the wheel was turned and i was accelerating. When my struts were loose, it would make a popping noise everytime i would hit a bump, i tightened them up and they were fine. My GSX makes kind of a popping/clanking sound when i let the clutch out, im thinking maybe too much backlash on the rear diff. I checked the U joints and they are all good. Any ideas on that?

Cressidaadr
01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
I wish you wouldn't leave us waiting for 5 years to hear what the problem was. :runaround:

My guess is that it was your front wheel bearing that needed replacing.

SilvrEclipse
01-21-2012, 07:30 PM
You should know better than bringing up a 5 year old thread. Especially when you knew it was this old!

Add your comment to this topic!