Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

couple of q's bout turbo and timing belt

turbo_avenger
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
ok i have two avengers i was going to part one to make the other better but then i got the tittle for the abadoned one so now i want to get that one running the timing belt busted on that and from what i had herd is that sometimes nothin happenes but if i have bent valves what would be the best way to go just get new heads????
ok now for the turbo on my other car i have a 25 psi turbo (that is being put in my car) which is tuned down to 10 do i need a diff ecu for it or can my stock ecu work with that turbo??????

if yall can help me i greatly apreaciate it

95DodgeAvenger95
11-17-2006, 05:00 PM
ok i have two avengers i was going to part one to make the other better but then i got the tittle for the abadoned one so now i want to get that one running the timing belt busted on that and from what i had herd is that sometimes nothin happenes but if i have bent valves what would be the best way to go just get new heads????
ok now for the turbo on my other car i have a 25 psi turbo (that is being put in my car) which is tuned down to 10 do i need a diff ecu for it or can my stock ecu work with that turbo??????

if yall can help me i greatly apreaciate it

what size turbo? and what company?

turbo_avenger
11-17-2006, 05:39 PM
its a jdm t3/t4 it is a 420a turbo but to make it fit on my avenger i had to custom build a manifold which is being done at a performace shop in san antonio ........

95DodgeAvenger95
11-17-2006, 06:05 PM
you might be able to run it without an ecu upgrade, but i would put one in any way to make sure, i have the same motor, im putting a stage 5 hahn turbo kit in it (Max = 500hp) and i dont need to upgrade the ecu because im getting the port fueler that they offer extra with the kit. so its up to you if you wanna spend the extra 300-400$ or to be sure ask the place thats making your manifold, see what they say.

turbo_avenger
11-17-2006, 06:11 PM
yea the one i got has a 300 hp max ..... i had a friend that mentioned somethin bout a e-mange (fmu) part but im not to familiar with that ..... as for that shop i did ask them but they told me they coupd do somthin else but they wouldnt tell me cuz i am guessin they want the biz but the r very expensive ........ also what would be the best injector upgrade and fuel pump upgrade

(still unsure bout the ecu, could i get a turbo'd eclipse ecu would that work??)

neon_rt
11-17-2006, 06:49 PM
The engine is not going to run at all as soon as the turbo starts to spool and the boost comes up to 0psi (from Vacuum). The ECU is preprogrammed to work with the stock setup and only the stock setup, it can not adapt to anything. When you add a turbo setup, the mechanical (turbo, manifolds, etc..) are only the beginning of the project. You would usually use some sort of piggyback controller or fuel flow regulator coupled with a ignition retard to allow the engine to run normally and "hide" the turbo from the ECU. The piggyback controller would then use input from the tuner (guy at shop who gets big $$ for tuning) to modify spark and fuel based on what the ECU thinks is WOT at 0 boost.
If you had the skillz to do the tuning yourself, you would probably not be asking any questions on the Forum, you would be expertly answering them.
Pay the dollars for a good tuning shop to setup the car. One WOT run down the street will last about 3 seconds before the engine has a total catastrophic failure and all of your money will be wasted if you decide to be cheap.
Keep in mind both the manual and auto transmission is only rated for about 150hp from the factory. The manual should be able to take 180-200hp and the auto can take up to 250hp with a shift kit and MOPAR ATF+4 fluid.

turbo_avenger
11-17-2006, 06:59 PM
this is only da start of this project....... ur right i dnt no how to tune them but then also i dont wana buy somthin i dont need too ........ where would i be able to get a controller like u said , is that like what emanage makes???

neon_rt
11-20-2006, 10:17 AM
I've done a lot of reading on the subject, because next spring I plan on a project of my own. Most shops have their own preference for what they tune with and stick to only one or two name brands. I've seen APEX integrated (APEXi) used in a lot of setups.

twiceasfastasyou
11-22-2006, 08:37 PM
this is only da start of this project....... ur right i dnt no how to tune them but then also i dont wana buy somthin i dont need too ........ where would i be able to get a controller like u said , is that like what emanage makes???

the split second PSC1 has been tuned and tested for the V6 Avenger by exileracing. if they could get this to completely bypass the ECU's tuning, hence it being a piggyback ECU, i would recommend using this unit. APEXi, Greddy, and HKS all make expensive electronic tuner chips. I've heard some people turning in their stock ECU's to special shops to get them reprogrammed, that way you could utilize the stock wiring setup.

All listed above my post is correct. Your stock ECU simply isnt tuned to accept forced induction. Running the engine on a huge amount of air being shoved into the intake manifold would simply make the sensor relays go off the charts. Then it would simply be a guessing game for the ECU, blah blah you know the story...

http://store.exileracing.com/product_info.php/cPath/22_27_28_75/products_id/167?osCsid=a3d620e756e9fcc22735501771d02de4

Add your comment to this topic!