Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The Engine on my eclipse shut off and wont start back....help plz

Eclipse95jp
11-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Its a 95 Eclipse
I had a friend change the clutch out because it got shot, thats a nother story though
I was driving it for a while and the engine shut off and we tried changing the fuses and it worked for a little while
but then it kicked off again. After trying to change the fuses again(under the hood) it didn't work this time. It shut off when i came off of a stop light as i was going into third. I'm guessing maybe something got knocked loose because i gave the car a little jerk.
I've been trying to figure out the problem for a while but im not a genious with cars.
It turns over but it sounds like the car is really struggling while tryin to start
any suggestions would be helpful

gthompson97
11-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Compression test? Fuel pressure test? A car needs air, fuel, and spark to run. Air=compression. Fuel=fuel. Spark= Spark plugs. Check compression, then check fuel pressure, and then if you got both of those, come back and I'll tell ya how to check the coil. Also what trim? RS, GS, GST, GSX?

P.S. Welcome to AF :)

l_eclipse_l
11-17-2006, 09:48 AM
What fuses kept blowing?

Mikelb
11-17-2006, 10:22 AM
OOH... check that timing belt...
What model do you have? an RS, GS, GST, or GSX?

(in 95-99 there were two different motors, the turbo[4g63-GST/GSX}, and the non-turbo[420A-RS/GS)

Eclipse95jp
11-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Its a GS
[edit] its also a nonturbo as well

l_eclipse_l
11-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Its a GS

Well that's a start...you would be advised to answer the rest of the questions if you continue to want help.

Eclipse95jp
11-18-2006, 04:24 PM
The guy i bought the car from told me that it might be the ECU computer
is there anyway i could know this for sure before blowing the money on a new one?

Before it shut off, I was coming from a stop and it was almost like i had to floor it to get the car to go, almost like it stalled out but not quite. Then i hit third and it actually did shut off and it wouldn't start back up for nuttin.
Im leaning that it might be the ecu because my stereo randomly stopped workin too and i couldn't find any cords unhooked or any shorts in the wires.

btw, its a 95 eclipse GS non turbo

The problem came up when my clutch got ripped out because a friend of mine(mistake to let em drive it) downshifted from 5th to 2nd and ripped it out. We got that replaced and ever since then it came back with more problems than it had before. I already bought a new starter for it because that was the original problem. Still yet im having a lot of trouble with it

Mikelb
11-20-2006, 07:43 AM
ooh, 5th to 2nd... that's not healthy...

The question he was referring to was: Which fuse kept blowing?

That might give us a more specific area to look when trying to diagnose a problem...

baker1234
11-20-2006, 08:50 AM
check your alternator belt if it snapped off your alternator is dead and your battery has no way of charging, when this happened on my car like u said my car shut off and i sat on the side of the road then it started back up again but all my interior lights were dim and my radio did not work. and it ran like shit i had to floor it to go like 15 lol check the belt and let us know

Eclipse95jp
11-24-2006, 03:54 PM
how do u check the alternator belt?

nofear39427
11-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I would also check your grounds and main fuses/relays.Get a volt-meter and test your major connections.:icon16:

eclipsed at 3am
11-24-2006, 06:26 PM
how do u check the alternator belt?

make sure its intact, and make sure its actually on the alternator pulley and the engine pulley.

when you try to start it, does it crank?

Eclipse95jp
11-25-2006, 10:40 AM
it cranks/turns over but it sounds like it is really strugglin

eclipsed at 3am
11-25-2006, 11:52 AM
id agree Mikelb, check the timing belt. a hard jerk on the engine like shifting from 5th to 2nd could jump the timing belt a few teeth. if you checked all the fuses, replaced the starter and battery, and it still doesnt work right, the timing belt seems like a likely suspect. a quick check is look at the two cam gears and see if the white/engraved/whatever notches could all line up. that doesnt nescesarily(sp?) mean it did or did not skip, but i think those are the most likely tell tale signs, if those notches dont line up. you said the car turns over? when its struggling to run, does it smell really shitty, like rotten eggs and exhaust and whatnot? just asking, because i had a 1g eclipse turbo, and a plastic piece from the crank pulley guard fell into the timing belt, and caused it to jump a few teeth. When it was running, it smelled HORRIBLE. I'm not talking about a car running a little rich, it smelled like goat cheese rubber piss crap poop rotten egg dead fish nasty, i have no idea why, maybe like some mix of oil coolant and fuel or something. anyways, just another thing to check, the smell may not be there.

firesdoom
11-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Who installed your stereo? You may have a circuit to circuit short.

thunderchicken2
12-09-2006, 02:33 AM
I don't know if you have figured the problem out or anything, but just to let you know the same thing happened to me in my 91 stealth. At first I thought it was the fuel pump, but that was not that case at all. I would be driving just fine in town, and every time I hit the brakes or anything to run electricity through the car would shut off. Going down the highway it would do the same thing, so that I had to keep at a good speed so that it would do a roll-start since it was a 5-speed. Finally later that day, the car came to a stop and would not come back to life. After I hauled it back to my garage and looked it over, I noticed that the top of the hood had actually melted halfway through. Come to find out, after I let Wal-Mart install my battery (I was out-of-state with no tools) they left the plasic tray underneath the battery so it was rubbing and shorting out from the hood. After seeing that, I was almost sure it had to be the ECU. I finally found one and put it in the car, and the car started right up.

Check all your electricals to see if there would be anything like happened in my case, or think back if there was any type of electrical surge from anything that had been done. This may not even be the case, but I just thought I would let you know.

Add your comment to this topic!