Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

mystery oil leak

stevem20
11-16-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a 95 yj jeep wrangler with a 2.5 engine. I have a oil leak that i can not find where it is coming from. It is on the passenger side of the engine.
It is covering the block and last spark plug wire and running down onto the starter. It appeared to be coming from the base of the dip stick tube but I put a bead of weld around it and its not coming from there. Its also not coming from the head gasket. It appears to be coming out of block somewhere and its a heavy flow but i cant find it. engine runs great but leaks too bad to ignore. Any idea's where I can try to fix next?

bdiamond69
11-16-2006, 10:09 PM
I have a 95 yj jeep wrangler with a 2.5 engine. I have a oil leak that i can not find where it is coming from. It is on the passenger side of the engine.
It is covering the block and last spark plug wire and running down onto the starter. It appeared to be coming from the base of the dip stick tube but I put a bead of weld around it and its not coming from there. Its also not coming from the head gasket. It appears to be coming out of block somewhere and its a heavy flow but i cant find it. engine runs great but leaks too bad to ignore. Any idea's where I can try to fix next?

i just have a question what type welding rod or wire did you weld a steel tube (dip stick tube) to your cast iron block ????

stevem20
11-17-2006, 06:37 AM
I used a liquid jb weld that a guy at the auto parts store recomended.

wilson05
11-17-2006, 10:17 AM
hey i had the same problem and i have the same kind of jeep so heres what was wrong with mine

the oil pressure sending unit(thing that makes the gauge work)
for some reason it was loose and wouldnt tighten down and what ended up happening was that i had to replace it ... there not to expensive and not hard to do yourself.... but your right dont ignore this it will ruin anything that the oil gets on eventually

check this link out
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GPS&mfrpartnumber=OPS140&parttype=417&ptset=A

Add your comment to this topic!