Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 c 1500 no start, no spark

dmbrisket 51
11-16-2006, 09:27 PM
havin some issues with a 91 chevy p/u, 5.7l ran fine, one day, started chugging and missing, guy put foot on Brake and the truck stalled, not able to restart, getting gas, but no spark, changed modual in the distributor to no avail, and im horrable at diagnostic on this old stuff any info would be great, my next guess would be a coil, but they are pricy new, Michigan salvage yards are cold this time of year, and i dont wanna throw parts at it when they aren't the problem. and and all help appreciated, TIA Doug

horse482
11-16-2006, 10:57 PM
I would start by taking the coil to a good parts store and having them test it, also test the new module, I used to work in a parts store and have seem them be bad in the box. If both test good test to see if you are getting 12.6v to the coil, if that is good hook an ohm meter to the pickup coil in the distributor and check to see if it is getting a signal. The distributors in this model is known for going bad, they ware out the bushing in the dist. Also check the dist cap for cracks and the wires also. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!