Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No Electrical Power

senrab
11-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I have a 90' 2500 2wd 5.7L w 193k.
I tried to start my truck and the starter would start to engage and then I would lose all power. No dome light, dash light or anything else. If I let it sit for 30 seconds to 1 minute the dome would come back on. All the lights & buzzers worked till I hit the key to start it. I had a similar thing several years ago that was a starter shorting out. However I pulled the battery (it was dark & raining) because it was the easiest thing to check. It tested good. Next I pulled the starter and had it tested. It was also good and I bought a new positive battery cable. I have not replaced the neg cable yet but it is probably due also. After installing the new cable and starter it acted like it had a low battery so I jumped it. It started and ran, but 1/2 mile down the road I lost all power and it died. I haven't had any power since it died. I have towed it home so I can work on it, but not sure where to start. I have read several threads and I think the ignition switch might be the culprit but a friend of mine said he had a fuseible link go bad in a wire. Anyone have the same problem in the past?

horse482
11-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Have you checked for power at the starter, ignition switch, coil, etc. I woulds start with that. Check all of your grounds, and the battery wire at the back of the alternator.

Add your comment to this topic!