Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pontiac and Buick declining brands.. but why?

carguy317
11-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I’m a college student doing a report on the decline of both Pontiac and Buick. Just wondered if anyone had some opinions on why both of these divisions of GM are hurting in sales. Also, what do you think can be done to save these brands from entering the automotive graveyard? Where have these divisions gone wrong? Was it there marketing strategies or car design?

Would help a lot to have some opinions, and talk about our beloved automotive company.
(father owns a '51 pontiac 4door)

xeroinfinity
11-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm going to try and NOT help you :)

IMO they just make too damn many cars. Then over project their sales with the rising costs of materials, not to mention fuel itself, they fell short once to many times.
Not to mention the money they spend on associates wages and getting raises then retirement pensions increasing every year, giving them selves(CEOs and such) raises.
Then you have lawsuits, recalls(due to the associates low self esteam and doing shabby work) or hiring underqualified associates)). And just the overall cost it takes to build new and better cars.

I also think dropping the Olds line was the biggest mistake. It just PO'd so many customers they just bought other brands with better fuel economy and better looks.
I know I was mad and still am, my father only drove Olds, he was really disapointed.
Hell they've dropped some realy nice automobiles over the last 7-8years.

Lets face it, looks sell !
Though , Better mpg and safty sell ever better these days.

May have been the fact that they all droped putting chrome and character into the new models, they all look so simular.

The bottom line here is the age of the average associate. Being that so many retire at one time, then it takes the new guys years to learn the craft.
So you have money lost on reitries/pensions, production low(because of improper training) and to many errors getting out the door, ending in 200million dollar recals.

Now you have designers that are all from the same schools slinging the same shit just different colours.

you just had to ask :lol:

MrPbody
11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Can't say about Buick, but to look at the cars on the road around here, Pontiac is certainly not in "decline". More GPs, SFs, and GAs on the road than one can shake a stick at. I see at least two, and sometimes four different GTOs (modern ones) on my way to work every morning.

Of course, statistics can be manipulated to say whetever you want them to say. If you WANT those divisions to fail, and tell enough people they ARE failing, it could happen...

Jim

xeroinfinity
11-17-2006, 01:56 PM
I see all auto makers redifining thier agandas and making a comeback in the near future.

Add your comment to this topic!