Noisey Fuel pump

Dknydo
11-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey guys/gals,,,,I am new to this forum. I own a 1991 cavalier, last year I replaced the fuel pump after the old one wouldnt work anymore. Afetr starting the car, the fuel pump seems to be making a whining noise, my wife says it sounds like a whale. I changed the fuel pump again thinking it was just a faulty pump. Now it is still making this noise. I also have a small problem when its time to start the car. Sometmes ( twice so far) The car wont turn over. No noise, lights, nothing. After messing with the shifter, it finally started no problem, what could be causing this?

So if anyone knows what would cause a fuel pump to make so much noise I would be greatly appreciated. Kinda getting on my nerves. :banghead:

Dknydo

chevyguy93
11-18-2006, 11:32 AM
My fuel pump is the same. I have a 93, and in its pretty noisy. In the summer when its really hot, thats when it gets Really loud. I've already replaced it, and it seems the new one is even louder than the old one. Oh well.

MT-2500
11-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey guys/gals,,,,I am new to this forum. I own a 1991 cavalier, last year I replaced the fuel pump after the old one wouldnt work anymore. Afetr starting the car, the fuel pump seems to be making a whining noise, my wife says it sounds like a whale. I changed the fuel pump again thinking it was just a faulty pump. Now it is still making this noise. I also have a small problem when its time to start the car. Sometmes ( twice so far) The car wont turn over. No noise, lights, nothing. After messing with the shifter, it finally started no problem, what could be causing this?

So if anyone knows what would cause a fuel pump to make so much noise I would be greatly appreciated. Kinda getting on my nerves. :banghead:

Dknydo

Welcome to AF on your first post.
Have you check or replaced the fuel filter?

Blue Bowtie
11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Diagnosing by sound is not the most reliable method. I've had what most people would call "noisy" EFI pumps which have run for over ten years that way with no problems.

Since the pump has been replaced (and therefore, the lines have been disturbed) make sure the lines and fuel filter are properly supported and not contacting the body anywhere they are not intended to. That will amplify pump and fuel supply line noise greatly. Also, if the original pump was fitted with a pulsation damper (a.k.a., failure waiting to happen) and the replacement did not have the damper, there will be a bit more noise.

The real problems begin when the pump stops making noise.

Add your comment to this topic!