Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2.5L Power/Milage Modification Recommendations

4x4grey88
11-16-2006, 01:07 AM
I recently purchased a 2001 Wrangler with a 2.5L engine. I have already added a magnaflow muffler, left the stock manifold on (sounds beefy). Also installed a throttle body spacer, cold air (K&N) intake filter, and the high spark ignition system. So far these changes have increased power and milage, but I am always looking to better the 2.5L engine.

Short of installing a supercharger (that costs too much) what other installations would you recommend to my Jeep to increased power and milage.

Kuhn
11-16-2006, 06:28 AM
This may just be my suggestion since I've been driving 4cyl sport compacts all my life, but the cheapest way to get power out of a 4cyl (especially one with 2.5L) is to add nitrous. Check out the Venom system:
http://www.venom-performance.com/nf/html/r500.cfm
This is a programable system, and would allow you to create a power curve just like a supercharger (not adding 50hp at 1000 rpms... but rather slowly increasing) so you can avoid blowing the engine and get the low end tq that a Jeep needs. I think you can also bore and maybe stroke these engines to squeeze out some more displacement, and cam them (to get the power where you need it). ...That is all cheap assuming you can do most of the work yourself. Gearing is also HUGE with the 4cyl. Ok that's my :2cents: Time for work!

CoriolisSTORM
11-21-2006, 03:55 PM
I've heard of a 2.5L turbo, but I'm not sure of too many that've done it. Supposedly it can be done for about $1400.

4x4grey88
11-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I bit much of cost for a 2.5L.

I bit more and I could just change out the engine all together to a Ford 302.

I was looking for modification to inprove with a low cost.

Thanks for your help though.

P.S. I removed my OEM fan over the weekend and installed an electric fan from a Lincoln which increased my HP and speed. The engine is much quieter too.

Add your comment to this topic!