Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CVPI what to do?

Negatoro
11-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm not quite new to AF, but this is my second post..
It would be great if I could get some feedback from your wonderful selves.
Last year my '88 Lincoln got T-Boned in a 6way intersection. Since then I've been driving a 2001 Malibu and I do not like it a bit. I've been wanting another decent size car that I can comfortably cruise in that is ballsy enough to pass rice rockets on the interstate. Then I came across a 2000 CVPI with 96000 miles in a local listing. My initial feeling was 'I need that!' but I'm taking a step back now to gather information and try to make a mature decision. I don't know anything further about this car's history, but I would like to know what the general feeling is about the 2000 CVPI.
Does the car have any chronic problems I should know about?
What should I look for specifically?
What advice or other input do you have?
I greatly appreciate you reading this, and I appologize for being long-winded.
Any response is welcome.
Thanks
-Mark.

sheebeehuh
11-16-2006, 08:54 AM
The 2000 models were good cars but there are some things to be aware of; not deal-killers just things to be aware of...

- Intake manifold - These cars had the dreaded all-plastic intake manifold which tends to rupture and dump all your coolant out in a matter of seconds. See this site ...

http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

for tons good info on the problem and how to fix it yourself

- COPS - Coil On Plug ignition. I *think* the 2000 model years had this "feature". Each spark plug has it's own, individual coil. When one coil goes bad they all tend to fail in sequence thereafter causing you to chase your tail with ignition problems or just replace them all at once.
- Ball joints, etc. - With 96K miles on a CVPI it may need some front end work and brake work. Just normal stuff but you should probably plan to spend some money on the front end.

Note that the CVPI models have the same engine as the civilian models (there is no "Police Interceptor" engine). The CVPI has beefier suspension/brakes and dual-exhaust and that's about it. As an alternative to a CVPI you can get a Crown Vic Sport which has dual-exhaust, rear air suspension, 16" wheels, etc., and which offers similar performance but probably has been much less abused than a retired police car. Just my 2-cents.

Add your comment to this topic!