Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 quest knock sensor code

sriche
11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
I have a '99 quest with a check engine light on. the codes read egr malfunction and knock sensor failure. After looking up the diagnostics on this, it looks like i may have to replace the knock sensor. This is a big job, expensive too. Are there any suggestion as to what this could be or what may be causing this. NEED HELP!!!

nissandoc
11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Knock Sensor Codes Are Common But Will Not Turn The Check Engine Light On. The Lights On For The Egr Code. Usually On A Quest An Egr Code Is The Bpt Hose. Look For A Metal Tube Just Above The Egr Valve That Has A 3-4 Inch Section Of Hose With A 90 Degree Turn. It Connects To The Bottom Of The Bpt Valve, If Its Split Open, Replace It. As For The Knock Sensor, Dont Worry About It, Its Not Worth The Cost To Replace It, And The Egr System Not Working Properly Will Sometimes Set This Code.

sahmama_3
04-17-2007, 04:36 PM
this is probably really late for you but when my 99 quest was pulling a knock sensor code the mechanic told me to make sure I was using 89 octane or better gas. I filled it up with that and within 20 miles the check engine light cleared. It is worth a shot anyway.

IH8SPM
05-16-2007, 05:56 AM
On a 99 I would run a fuel cleaner addative such as chevron. Then after about 150 miles I would push up on the egr valve a few times while its running and in PARK to help clear out some of the gunk. You may want to check your spark plugs they are cheap and often cause these problems as I have seen.

Add your comment to this topic!