Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2 channel amp

gwako
09-13-2002, 06:32 PM
This could be a stupid question, but my question is if I have a two channel amp would I be able to hook it up to both my front speakers and rear speakers, and have control of the fader and the balance....

delsolsi
09-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Yes you can hook up both the fronts and the rears if your amp is stable in 2 ohm loads, but you would only have balance control, no fader.

If you want to fade the rears I think theres a way do it with resistors or something. I've never done this or heard of some one doing it but it makes sense in my head, I have no idea if it actualy works though.

PaulD
09-14-2002, 07:55 PM
they make "power faders" that hook to the amp outputs, they suck though. Putting a small value, high wattage resistor inline with a speaker will cut a speakers volume some. The actual DC resistance of a 4 ohm speaker is like 3 ohms, so if you put a 1 ohm (10watt) resistor on it - it will cut the power by like 25%, maybe a 1-2dB difference

strodda
09-14-2002, 08:19 PM
if its not 2ohm stable, although it should be unless its some old fleemarket crap, you can always wire them in series. but that will actually raise the impedence to 8ohms

Add your comment to this topic!