Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering problems

SteveR...
11-14-2006, 08:13 PM
My wife's '99 Alero started making bad grinding sounds yesterday when the wheel was turned. After sitting overnight, there was a significant amount of power steering fluid under the rack and pinion. The fluid in the pump reservoir is foamy on top and has turned a brown-red color, similar to used motor oil, but lighter.

I'm pretty sure the rack & pinion must be gone, but I'm not sure about the pump. The pump is pretty cheap, but I don't want to replace it if I don't have to. Would the rack and pinion likely take the pump with it when it went out? The fluid level is at the top of the "add" mark on the dipstick.

Any tips on replacing the rack and pinion? Looks like it is a pain to remove. I have the Haynes repair manual, but any tips to make it easier would be appreciated.

Also, what is the cheapest place to get a rack & pinion? They are $300 at Autozone, is that about the best price I'm going to find? This one does have the variable steering assist feature.

It has ~154,000 miles.

BNaylor
11-15-2006, 09:08 AM
It sounds like a rack seal located at the inner tie rod area is blown. The power steering fluid accumulates in the rubber accordian boot and then starts dripping out. I would replace the rack and pinion. The power steering pump may still be good. The rack and pinion units were a problem area on certain year Aleros.

Replacing a rack and pinion can be done DIY but it is tedious work. However, I would recommend letting a Pro do the work. After disconnecting the pressure and return lines, disconnecting the outer tie rods, and removing the bolts holding it to the subframe, disconnecting the coupling/intermediate shaft at the pinion you may have to support the engine and transmission at the lift points and drop the complete subframe cradle to remove it. It is a tight fit.

I would shop around for the best price. Many are remanufactured units.

SteveR...
11-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the information. I've done a decent amount of work on cars before (I finished a head job on my 255,000 mile LT1 Z28 a few weeks ago), so I think I'll try to tackle this one myself. I've got the front end on jackstands, and have a small and large floor jack, and an extra pair of jackstands, so I think I can pull it off. It won't be fun, but I prefer this to paying $400 or more in labor.

I found a lifetime warranty rack & pinion at Oreilly's auto parts for about $180. On Ebay, remanufactured rack and pinions are under $100, but I don't want to mess with shipping the core back, or having to ship it if I have any problems with the new one.

SteveR...
11-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Turns out it isn't the pump or rack & pinion. I started working on the car today, and the problem is a leak in the return line. It was right over the rack and pinion, so it was dripping off the rack and pinion, which made me think that is where the problem was. Wish I had figured that out before I took the tie rod ends of both sides. Oh well, it is still a lot less work to replace the return line.

What is the best place to get the return line? Its about a 4' rubber hose, with just a clamp at the pump end, but a crimped fitting at the rack and pinion. I wish it was crimped at both ends, I could just buy $3 worth of rubber hose and be done with it.

http://www.wotelectronics.com/returnline1.jpg
http://www.wotelectronics.com/returnline2.jpg

Alero(00)
04-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I find this forum very informative. The many problems described in the forum such as failure of the fan speed ( twice) at high speed, rear window defrogger malfunction, fuel pump failure. the traction light on are all applied to my 2.4 L 2000 Alero.currently at 189,000km
Now , yesterday I drove over a bumpy road at city speed, I heard a loud sound on my front tire( passenger side). Later when I drive the car making left turn ,I hear some clicking sound when I make turns , more noticeable sound at right turn.
I check the power steering fluid and it is full, no leaking. Whe I drive straight either forward or backwards,I hear no sound.
I wonder what could be the problem. I plan to take it to the garage shop for check up in next days. About 7-8 months ago I had 4 disc brakes serviced with new rotors and pads, but recently the front rotors have warped causing pulsations when I apllied brakes. Are the pulsated brakes affecting the
steering sound?
I appreciated some help in understanding the problems.

jr6078
04-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Steve R...

I had the exact same problem with my '99 a while back. If I recall correctly I got the hose from the dealer. It might be available from RockAuto.com, but I don't think any of my local parts places had it. I don't remember if I checked NAPA or not.

Either way, the job is a pain in the backside, but I found one tool was indispensible in doing the job. In fact, I struggled for a couple hours with other tools before I finally figured out this is what I needed. It's an 18mm crow foot (I think, although it might be 15mm - I'm at work and can't get to my toolbox to check, but look at the new hose to verify). The fitting that attaches the hose to the rack & pinion is tight and there is very little room to maneuver in the area. Even if you can get other tools on it, there is no room to move them. The crow foot allowed me to get on the fitting and get a good angle on the wrench so I would have room to move it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Don't forget to bleed the power steering pump when you get done.

Juice21
10-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Wow, I have a leak in that exact same spot on my 2000 Alero. Is it a man. defect?

BNaylor
10-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Wow, I have a leak in that exact same spot on my 2000 Alero. Is it a man. defect?

Sorry but please check the date and do not resurrect old threads. Best to start a new post addressing your issue. Thread closed.

Add your comment to this topic!