Service engine soon PO443 & PO449 codes

ddiamo
11-14-2006, 08:06 AM
1. I am getting both these codes on my 2000 Malibu 3.1 V6. I know that they mean:

P0443 is "Evaporative Emissions Control System Purge Valve Circuit Fault"

P0449 is "Evaporative Emissions Control System Vent Solenoid Malfunction"

Anyone have any idea what truly needs to be repaired when these codes pop-up together (they came back together after I cleared them out the first time)? Is this a "do-it-yourselfer" or a "bring it to the pros"? I would like to understand the effort involved.

I saw on an old thread that said "Went to a garage in Flushing, Queens recommended by two people -- Dan's Automotive and the mechanic there, Chucky, took a look at the read-out - again PO443 & PO449, he looked at the solenoid valves and said he needs to replace two of them. It's normal wear and tear and he's seen this problem twice before in the Malibu." Anyone know what this means?

Also, don't know if these things are related or not, but I figured I would throw them in...
2. On cold start it takes a couple of minutes before the fuel gauge kicks in (other gauges appear normal at startup).
3. The turn signals work intermittently.

Could all of this be related? Where do I start?

Appreciate any help!!!

GMMerlin
11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
1. I am getting both these codes on my 2000 Malibu 3.1 V6. I know that they mean:

P0443 is "Evaporative Emissions Control System Purge Valve Circuit Fault"

P0449 is "Evaporative Emissions Control System Vent Solenoid Malfunction"

Anyone have any idea what truly needs to be repaired when these codes pop-up together (they came back together after I cleared them out the first time)? Is this a "do-it-yourselfer" or a "bring it to the pros"? I would like to understand the effort involved.

I saw on an old thread that said "Went to a garage in Flushing, Queens recommended by two people -- Dan's Automotive and the mechanic there, Chucky, took a look at the read-out - again PO443 & PO449, he looked at the solenoid valves and said he needs to replace two of them. It's normal wear and tear and he's seen this problem twice before in the Malibu." Anyone know what this means?

Also, don't know if these things are related or not, but I figured I would throw them in...
2. On cold start it takes a couple of minutes before the fuel gauge kicks in (other gauges appear normal at startup).
3. The turn signals work intermittently.

Could all of this be related? Where do I start?

Appreciate any help!!!

First I would check the ERLS fuse..this is what powers the solenoids (also the O2 sensors, but they are not throwing codes)
It is possible that you have 2 failed solenoids, but I would say that is unlikely. First you must check for proper power and ECM control.
These codes are set due to an electrical failure.

zvadim
05-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey,
I started a thread a long time ago re: my 2002 Alero having the same codes, and you asked if the problem was ever resolved. The answer is no :banghead:

fisherdm
05-29-2007, 08:29 PM
I can't help much w/ the EVAP codes but I may be able to help w/ the intermittent flashers. I have a 1997 Malibu LS/3.1L and had issues w/ intermittent flashers. Go to the dealer and buy a new hazard switch. Should cost about $26. The relay for the flashers are in the hazard switch. This fixed my problem. There are 2 screws by the odometer that unfasten the trim plate, then gently pull forward left to right to unsecure the clips on the trim. The hazard switch releases out to the front when you squeeze in the retainer and the new switch clips in from the front. You may have to remove the 2 screws that fasten in the vent as well. There is a thread on this issue titled flasher relay that lists the part number as well. Should take less than 30 min to switch them out.

Add your comment to this topic!