Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 4 cyl. won't start

JDHZ28
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
My wife drives a 95 camry, 4cyl. it has been dying the past several weeks whenever she is stoped with the car in gear and her foot on the brake. The car has done this several times but it always starts right back up. Today it didn't start right back up. I was out of town last month but supposedly this guy changed the battery, fuel pump, and fuel filter, dropped the gas tank and cleaned it, replaced all hoses, belts and changed the plugs and wires.
I checked all the fuses, they were good, none of the relays had any corrosion on the contacts, (didn't have my meter with me to check them properly) The car will turn over but it just won't start....I am not sure about the camry, but on the camaro, when you turn the key, right before the engine turns over, you can hear the fuel pump kick on....I didn't hear it on the camry, should I? I'm a little confused, any suggestions?

popeye08
11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I think you must have the IAC valve gummed. The simplest method is just buy a carbon cleaner spry to the hole in the IAC valve when the car is running. 20 minutes' job. Or search in this forum.

Here is the thread in the
Camry FAQs/Information - SEARCH HERE AND FORUM BEFORE POSTING\

Another possible fix for IAC-Related Idling Problems:

Thanks to Daniel M. Dreyfus for the following discussion.

Here's my take on this - also 1994 4 cylinder Camry. Your car feels like it is running on three cylinders at cold start up because the IAC (idle air control valve) is sticking and not enough fuel gets into the cylinders for smooth cold start up idle speed.

If you remove the hose clamp at the throttle body opening and pull aside the large black air intake hose - at the bottom of the throttle body is a small rectangular hole - the air inlet for the IAC valve.
The best cure I've found for a sticking valve is TriFlow. It is a lubricant with teflon sold at bicycle and hardward stores. Just spray a small amount into the IAC air intake with the engine cold and stumbling at idle.

JDHZ28
11-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Yea, I searched through some of the other threads that were similar... Thank you very much for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

KimMG
11-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Check all the vacuum lines, especially around the brake booster.

JDHZ28
11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
I checked all the lines today, and just to pacify my curiosity I pulled the fuel line off and turned the car over. Well, no fuel came out, that being said I'm leaning more toward bad fuel pump, or faulty relay....would the fuel pressure reg. cause that as well I wonder? I am going to put it on the computer tomorrow and see what codes it's pulling. Thanks for the input guys.

KimMG
11-15-2006, 02:58 AM
If you are not getting fuel and not hearing the fuel pump, what about taking it back to where you got it repaired? Isn't the repair still under waranty?

Add your comment to this topic!