Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil all over the road! HELP!

mtcs
11-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey,
Got my car back from Hybrid connection (DSM shop in NY) on Friday and apparently right before I got there to pick her up, the O-Ring in the oil filter came loose and spewed oil all over the motor. Caused some burning action on the oil filer and oil return lines. They fixed it and a few hours later I came by and picked the car up.
Two days later, I think the same thing happened. I was driving doing like 50 or 60 and all of a sudden my oil pressure shoots down to 0psi. I stopped the car and looked behind me and there was oil all over the road. I let the car cool down then looked under the hood and saw that there was oil spewed all over the right side of the bay.
It was way too late (2AM) to wait for AAA to come tow me so I just left it on the side of the road until the morning (8AM).
My question is, what could be causing the oil filer o-ring to mess up so bad? I think I am just going to get it towed back to hybrid connection and let them see what’s up.

Anyone have any idea why it would be breaking and spewing everywhere?

I did 491/500 miles that I had to do on the motor break in period. At 500 miles I had to change the oil, looks like it changed the oil on its own. lol

eclipsed at 3am
11-13-2006, 08:03 PM
well........ at least you identified the problem lol.

did they use the right oil filter? did they put in a new motor or rebuild yours? if i were you i would complain to them. its possible they could have had a double gasket on there too, which wouldnt be too bright. good luck bro

mtcs
11-13-2006, 08:36 PM
well........ at least you identified the problem lol.

did they use the right oil filter? did they put in a new motor or rebuild yours? if i were you i would complain to them. its possible they could have had a double gasket on there too, which wouldnt be too bright. good luck bro

I have complete confidence in them! They used the right oil fileter. It is a fully built motor. From the bottom up. Everything was new. I am going to drop it off with them next week sometime to see what is going on with the car. THey said they have had this problem before with 3 others including myself. They are going to go the 1g Air cooling oil method. This way they dont need the Housing and there is nothing to get damaged. Sound like a plan?

Killa
11-13-2006, 09:45 PM
good luck with the car man, you must be rich with those mod :wink: . How did get ride around when your car is in the shop ?. I live like hell for almost a month now with out a car, my big brother have to take me go school every day, we have different class, and I have to stay all day at school, until my brother get out, usually I go home between class to take a nap, now I got to wait.

mtcs
11-13-2006, 10:05 PM
good luck with the car man, you must be rich with those mod :wink: . How did get ride around when your car is in the shop ?. I live like hell for almost a month now with out a car, my big brother have to take me go school every day, we have different class, and I have to stay all day at school, until my brother get out, usually I go home between class to take a nap, now I got to wait.

Thats what you get for working 80 hour weeks for 6 months...When the car was in the shop I walked everywhere. or good old fashion bike.

Killa
11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Thats what you get for working 80 hour weeks for 6 months...When the car was in the shop I walked everywhere. or good old fashion bike.

I feel u man.

mtcs
11-13-2006, 10:18 PM
I feel u man.

Every pennie i made went to the car. I love my eclipse and want to make her as fast as I can...80 hour weeks = cost is no problem

Killa
11-13-2006, 10:20 PM
as long it make you happy, it will worth it :wink: . I wish I can do the same, but kid and gf= broke.

crunchymilk55
11-13-2006, 10:28 PM
umm...dumb question, but are they SCRAPING the old gasket off???

eclipsed at 3am
11-13-2006, 10:31 PM
umm...dumb question, but are they SCRAPING the old gasket off???

i dont think its a problem necessarily with the gasket, so much as the stock 2g oil filter housing and coolant lines

mtcs
11-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Resolved!!!

Thanks to Gary Burch of Hybrid connection, looks like he caught the problem.

"The water cooled oil filter housings suck. Many...many engines have been trashed by this cooler. Jordans car started on fire because of it blowing out the same oil filter o-ring. Tevenor's oil filter housing actually came loose from the block and lost all oil. A customer of ours Dan Cook almost had the same tragedy that Tevenor had but we caught it just in the nick of time. Your car blew the filter o-ring once for sure...maybe even twice now.

My theory is that the since this oil cooler section has cooler passages and thin metal that it collapses enough for the high oil pressure of a non-balance shafted engine to find a weak spot which appears to be the o-ring. I think the 75-100+ oil pressure is just so great between the oring and cooler that it actually collapses the cooler enoungh to push the o-ring past the bead and therefore loose all oil pressure. This would have been even more of a problem if we did not port your oil cooler housing relief valve to allow no more than 100psi oil pressure.

When your car gets to the shop we will let you know what really happened. Plus as usual you are doing the right thing and going with the 1990 style oil to air cooled housing which to my knowledge has never had this problem and hence why the evo7-9 whent back to this design.

As of right now we will no longer build 6bolts with the water cooled housing. It is too much of a strain on the radiator cooling system and just not worth a car fire, blown engine, or death."

Thanks Gary!

defiancy
11-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Seems strange that this is a problem only in your area?

I've never heard of this being a problem before.

Add your comment to this topic!