Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What happent if you strip the valve cover threat ?

Killa
11-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Last couple week, when I was doing valve cover job, I unbolt all the bolt accept one, that I fell it came off too easy, and find out that hafl of the threat on the head is trip, but I still can tight the bolt down, and other day when I was doing boost leak test, I loose pressure on the bolt, and saw little oil split out, is there another option that I can make that bolt hold down better ? beside rethreat the hold on the head.

gthompson97
11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Not really. You can get a tap and try fix the threads in the hole, but you can't re-thread them to the same size.

Killa
11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Not really. You can get a tap and try fix the threads in the hole, but you can't re-thread them to the same size.

my SS bolt just came today, and I will install it tomorrow, after getting my car back from the dealer. by the way its illegal to run the car without headlight in the day time ? cause I was scrare every time I take my car to the road. headlight will come on wed.

l_eclipse_l
11-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Yes, it's illegal to drive without headlights...

4g63gst20
11-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, it's illegal to drive without headlights...

really? i never knew that. over here i see crazy things like people driving a car that was in accident(realy bad) with now front bumper, some with no fenders and headlights i dont know how they get away with it.:grinno:

Killa
11-13-2006, 10:01 PM
you remind me about car accident, I saw a red neon turbo just like pr_ricer had, he was back off me, it look fucking nice, until he pass by, whole fucking rear bumper was complete got hit, I mean the whole trunk was gone :eek: . Just like some one jam him in 100mph.

l_eclipse_l
11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
really? i never knew that. over here i see crazy things like people driving a car that was in accident(realy bad) with now front bumper, some with no fenders and headlights i dont know how they get away with it.:grinno:

Technically, that car should not be on a public road. They could get fined for driving it. Just like if you have a headlight or taillight out, it's a safety precaution and they will ticket you for that if they feel like being a dick and not giving you just a warning to get it fixed.

Mikelb
11-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Not really. You can get a tap and try fix the threads in the hole, but you can't re-thread them to the same size

On The contrare. Buy a helicoil (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3482&mfrcode=HEL&mfrpartnumber=55466) kit. Here's the VFAQ (http://www.plymouthlaser.com/heli.htm) that explains what to do to use the helicoil. Basically, you drill into the head (straight down), and then you tap it (with the included tap), then use the tool to thread the SS helicoil down into the head, and it's fixed. Now the threads are SS and stronger than before...

by the way its illegal to run the car without headlight in the day time ? cause I was scrare every time I take my car to the road. headlight will come on wed.

In some states it is not illegal. I know that in Virginia there's a law that says you can drive during the day without headlights. There's also an inspection you can get for day time only driving. The only lights that have to work are the brake lights.
You will need to check with your local DMV.

gthompson97
11-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I usually helicoil everything that strips out, but I dont' know if I would trust it in the head. If you get even the smallest shaving from drilling out the hole in the head, you could fuck up ALOT of shit. Ah fuck it, just helicoil all of them and you won't have to worry about it ever again. :)

Killa
11-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Just redid the valve cover gasket install, with new SS valve cover bolt. And flush the redline stuff off the tranny, and run stray pennzoil for the winter, and flush out the transfer case, and put in redline, 1 question, do transfer case need to break in period ? I mean when I flush the first time I can see alot very tiny metal thing, so I put in new fluid and flush it again, and again until 1 ran out of 1 quart ( cheap transfer case oil :icon16: ), and i saw less metal each time I flush, and im running redline, you think I should changing oil soon ?

Mikelb
11-15-2006, 07:25 AM
I usually helicoil everything that strips out, but I dont' know if I would trust it in the head. If you get even the smallest shaving from drilling out the hole in the head, you could fuck up ALOT of shit. Ah fuck it, just helicoil all of them and you won't have to worry about it ever again. :)
I helicoiled all the outer bolts on my vc...two of them had stripped out, now they should all be better than stock...

Add your comment to this topic!