Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Downshifting into First

Black Knight 00
11-12-2006, 09:33 AM
so does anyone else have the problem where when your downshift to slow down your car doesnt go into first unless ur at a complete stop? just curious ive owned 4 eclipses now and they have all done it... or at least i think they have.

4g63gst20
11-12-2006, 09:38 AM
so does anyone else have the problem where when your downshift to slow down your car doesnt go into first unless ur at a complete stop? just curious ive owned 4 eclipses now and they have all done it... or at least i think they have.
in my car if im going to fast arround 30 mph and try to downshift it wont go because it's to fast for 1st gear. something that has to do with the synchros(sp)

Blackcrow64
11-12-2006, 10:43 AM
They are supposed to be like that as a safety precaution I do believe. Sometimes if I am barely at a roll and can't get it in, I just push the clutch in and give it a little rev and then it slips right in with no problem.

Black Knight 00
11-12-2006, 11:09 AM
alright ill have to try that. i just wanted to make sure my tranny wasnt crappin out on me

david-b
11-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I don't downshift to 1st gear anymore. Once I almost blew my engine. Redlined when I downshifted to 1st and the car screamed in pain. lol. In other words, it was loud as hell. If I'm coming up to a stop that's about to change green or whatnot, I just downshift to 2nd and use the clutch for the rest. No 1st gear DS for me

4g63gst20
11-12-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't downshift to 1st gear anymore. Once I almost blew my engine. Redlined when I downshifted to 1st and the car screamed in pain. lol. In other words, it was loud as hell. If I'm coming up to a stop that's about to change green or whatnot, I just downshift to 2nd and use the clutch for the rest. No 1st gear DS for me

yeah, i only downshift to 1st when i go in alleys (here people call the cops on you if you drive fast in alleys.) or parking lots.

gthompson97
11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Brians right, it's a safety precaution. You're going too fast for the synchros to match up and you'll either overrev the hell out of the motor (like David did) or you'll bust some gears if you try jam it in. You can rev it up a little bit to try match the gears, but you'll grind them a bit if you don't match them perfectly.

Blackcrow64
11-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I am the master of mesh! lol

I had my car down perfect for power shifting before I put my new tranny in. Now I'll have to learn it all over again... Once its running. lol

gthompson97
11-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Shouldn't be much different, if any. He didn't change any gears or anything did he? They should be the same ones, just stronger. :thumbsup:

Blackcrow64
11-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Hmmm I can't remember if any of the gears were changed or not... Probably not though. If he did it shouldn't take any time at all to figure it out again. lol

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Both my cars do the same thing shifting into 1st, the Eclipse is the worst its got a new transmission i gotta be damn near stopped to shift to 1st, the talon i can around 10mph but prolly cuz its got 170k on it i do remember it being a little more difficult when i first got it, its prolly worn out now.

NateS
11-12-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't think I've ever downshifted to 1st... I only ever use 1st to pull out/launch. I just always figured downshifting to first would be way too rough and almost pointless. I just ride 2nd gear far enough but not enough to stall then push the clutch in at the stop and start in 1st. I figured that is how most people drove haha.

Killa
11-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Now I knew why it so hard to downshift to first, when I almost complety about to stop, Im not try to steal this threat, do you guy use first gear or second gear on trafic ? Im using second gear on trafic.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-12-2006, 09:56 PM
usually if im over around 7mph ill use second anything under ill use 1st. Stop and go traffic i use first, but i try not to ride the clutch in the talon too much its already got a little bit of freeplay, and im goin for over 200k on the engine transmission and clutch so i baby that. The eclipse i usually gun it first when i can im new to turbos and cant get enough of that boost

Killa
11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
usually if im over around 7mph ill use second anything under ill use 1st. Stop and go traffic i use first, but i try not to ride the clutch in the talon too much its already got a little bit of freeplay, and im goin for over 200k on the engine transmission and clutch so i baby that. The eclipse i usually gun it first when i can im new to turbos and cant get enough of that boost

is your inter fux ? cause double post.:wink:

Blackcrow64
11-12-2006, 10:17 PM
is your inter fux ? cause double post.:wink:
I took care of the double post. :wink:

Also lets get something clear here guys... We are not talking about downshifting into 1st gear as you normally would downshift in other gears. We are talking about just putting it into 1st gear while coming to a stop so that you can be ready to go again instead of waiting to come to a complete stop to put it into 1st...

Killa
11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I took care of the double post. :wink:

Also lets get something clear here guys... We are not talking about downshifting into 1st gear as you normally would downshift in other gears. We are talking about just putting it into 1st gear while coming to a stop so that you can be ready to go again instead of waiting to come to a complete stop to put it into 1st...

Yes we know, when I come to complete stop or slow down, I just put in N, and slow down using brake, down shift is bad unless rev match.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah sorry bout that double post my net was messin around. But as far as the original post i have to force it in the eclipse if anything over prolly 3-4 mph. So i usually do the neutral thing too till at a stop. I would say its completely normal for your car to do it (seeing as both of my cars did it) 1 tranny at 10k miles and 1 at over 100k

eclipsed at 3am
11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
yeah all 3 dsms ive had were tough to get into 1st at anything over 10mph. The one i have now is just tough because the clutch is worn or not adjusted right or i dunno. sometimes its very hard to get it in first, other times its super easy, like sometimes when im getting on it and not paying attention, i shift to second, get to like 55mph or so, and then slam it into first again on accident and all of a sudden vrrrrrrrrOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! luckily i slam the clutch in quick enough and the rpms dont go past 7500 or so.

Add your comment to this topic!