Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need help with my Talon!

marc's95esi
11-12-2006, 12:50 AM
I have a 95' Eagle Talon ESI with a 2.0l non-turbo motor in it.My timing belt started to bash against the cover so I shut the car off immediately.The car still ran though. I bought the kit and started to replace the belts and tensioners and i checked out the camshafts. The front camshaft will turn but the back camshaft will only turn one time then stop. I assumed it was a bad valve but i'm not sure yet. Is there anything little that it may be that i just didn't notice? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thor06
11-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Welcome aboard. Please read the rules and post in the correct subforums.

NateS
11-12-2006, 01:11 AM
The camshafts shouldn't move freely if your head is still on your car. They should be very hard to turn and they tend to find a "groove" where they sit in and make it very hard to turn when turning the camgears.

gthompson97
11-12-2006, 01:50 AM
That camshaft won't turn anymore because one of the valves is hitting one of the pistons. Do you have a shop manual like Chiltons? If not, I would recommend getting one before you jump into this timing belt operation, you will either fix the car, or break it worse if you fuck up. There is no in-between when it comes to timing belts. Also how many miles does the car have? Might as well put a new waterpump while your at it (involves removing the timing belt if it ever goes out)

marc's95esi
11-12-2006, 01:59 AM
I'm not personally doing the work but yes we do have a Chiltons manual also. The car has 190k on it. We are changing the water pump also. Do you think that there is a bad valve or what? We were going to take the head off tomorrow and take it somewhere but if this is normal then that would be great. Thanks for the help.

gthompson97
11-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Do a compression test, it'll tell you if you bent a valve or not. If the belt didn't actually snap and let go, you should be fine. Also at 190k, you should probably go with a new tensioner and idler pulley.

marc's95esi
11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Well thanks for all the help. The belt didnt actually snap and i am changing everything. The valves did go bad. I will let you know how many in a few days after the machine shop gets back to me. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!