Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bad alternator or voltage regulator??????

4g63gst20
11-11-2006, 03:42 PM
well last week my car burned the low beam bulbs, and i replaced them but that same day they were burned again. i decided not to drive it during the week and today i drove for a while. and i decided to check the voltage on my greddy turbo timer. and i was like WTF, it shows 22.xx volts. this alternator is about a year and if this is the problem i'm sure i can get a replacement from checker. but i remember back in my country cars come with this one thing we call voltage regulator that is suppossed to make sure that you only get about 14 volts to the system. now, do we have one this things in our cars? is yes where is it located?

MishaA
11-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Yep, sure, every car has it. And on modern cars it is a part of alternator, it's built-in. And yes, 22V is way high, you have to replace the damn thing ASAP.

gthompson97
11-11-2006, 04:13 PM
It's built into the alternator and you'd better get it fixed asap. You'll overcharge the battery and it could ruin alot of electrical shit.

4g63gst20
11-11-2006, 05:59 PM
It's built into the alternator and you'd better get it fixed asap. You'll overcharge the battery and it could ruin alot of electrical shit.

yeah, i think it already messed up my battery, and now my wipers wont stop working. i'll take it back to checker tomorrow.

4g63gst20
11-12-2006, 02:09 PM
ok, i just got a new alternator, free under the lifetime warranty, but now there's another problem,
!. my battery is shot. it shows about 12v, but when i hook it up to the charger, the charger acts like if the battery wasnt hooked up, so i'm guesing is bad now.I would go and buy a new one but this is a red top i just got about 5 months ago. my mother-in-law got it for me from cosco(sp). she is a member, and now she is gone to OR, do you guys think i need a receipt to exchange it? it says it has 3yr warranty.

gthompson97
11-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah you probably would need a reciept. You'll get some back for it because it's dead after only 5 months, but you won't get a free replacement.

Add your comment to this topic!