Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Transmission Problem

victorvaj
11-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi, I drive a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS w/ a 420A engine and I have an automatic Transmission Problem. It seems that my transmission will slip on certain occassions, while it changes to the next gear. This often happens right after i release the gas pedal (mostly around 40-70 mph) and going up or down hill and therefore causes my engine to go up to 5000 RPM just to go at least 40 mph. I went to Cottman's Transmission service, and had my engine scan, and it came back that I have an idle problem and EGR (engine solenoid position problem) and TPS (throttle position sensor) are positioned high and the valves are out of range. I researched these parts for my car and it will cost me around 500-600 dollars in parts and perhaps another $300 in installations. What seems to be the problem w/ my transmission slipping? I need some help.

Killa
11-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi welcome to the forums :wink: . When is the last time you change your tranny fluid ? pull the auto transmission dip stick, and see what color its.

about your egr and tps, you can find it on ebay alot cheaper. and its easy to install, buy yourself a hayhes manual ( at auto part, autozone , advan auto part ), and learn how to do those thing yourself, save you alot money.

l_eclipse_l
11-10-2006, 11:25 AM
The only advice I can really give is that replacing all those parts will most likely not fix your transmission problem.

Also, those two parts should not even cost you $200 to replace, and installation you may want to try yourself.

gthompson97
11-10-2006, 11:25 AM
First off, welcome to AF, and thanks for posting in the correct subforum, most people wouldn't do that, so I thank you.

Regarding the tranny problem, first do like Killer said, check the tranny fluid. Make sure the car is at normal operating temperature and cycle through the gears with your foot on the brake. 1-2-D-R-N-P, keeping it in each gear for 3 seconds. Then get out and check the fluid. If it's a nice clean red color and it's up to the dipstick, it's good to go. If it's kinda brown and smells burnt, it's time for a tranny flush.

About the idle problem, make sure all of your vacuum lines are connected. Also, EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation and I don't know if I've ever seen an EGT problem cause a shitty idle, it's usually something bigger than that. The TPS could cause a shitty idle, but it's usually leaning more towards the IAC (Idle Air Control). First see if you can fix your tranny problem and then come back and we'll see about your TPS sensor.

EDIT: I just notice you didn't say anything about the car running shitty. Does it run okay besides the tranny problem?

eclipsed at 3am
11-10-2006, 11:32 AM
its crankwalk....lol

i had a shitty idle too, but since ive replaced my exhaust manifold gasket it purrs nice.

Add your comment to this topic!