Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission woes

ktisdale_2
11-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I have a '93 C1500 w/ 350ci and a 4L60E that has 190K on it. It was rebuilt about 6K miles ago but has been acting up on me. It is on jackstands now because it will not shift out of first gear. I am positive that it is in first and not second gear. Either way, I have since pulled the transmission and have been reading up on kits and heavy duty upgrades to put into it. I have heavy foot and like to be able to use the power I have given it, hence wanting a heavy duty rebuild.

I have read about "The Beast" HD sunshell and the hardened sun gears and so on and was interested in these and the Kevlar band. I have a B&M shift kit in it so I don't want a Corvette Servo. I also read somewhere that if you install these you need to purchase them as a kit or together to make sure that you keep everything balanced in the tranny. Is this true or are companies just wanting you to buy everything from them? Also, are these 2 the only HD upgrades you can do or are there more out there that I missed?

Thanks in advance for all your help and for past help guys,

ChevyWonTon
11-11-2006, 10:15 PM
It wasn't clear if you rebuilt the engine, the tranny, or both engine AND tranny 6K miles ago. I'm guessing you rebuilt the engine, and now the tranny with 190K miles on it is straining under the new-found power.

ktisdale_2
11-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Sorry for that . The engine had the crank and all rebuilt at about 135K miles, and the tranny was rebuilt at about 185-187K miles.

heavyredchevy
11-12-2006, 03:11 AM
I noticed it says you put a 2 inch TBI spacer on. When did you do that? If you just did it, Reset your TV cable if you havent already done so. This can make the tranny shift late and hard.

Blue Bowtie
11-13-2006, 07:33 AM
You do not necessarily need to purchase the parts as a kit. The SPX "Beast" reaction sun shell fits just fine on a stock sun gear spline. The band will fit the input drum just fine whether it came in a kit or not.

ktisdale_2
11-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I noticed it says you put a 2 inch TBI spacer on. When did you do that? If you just did it, Reset your TV cable if you havent already done so. This can make the tranny shift late and hard.

The TBI spacer was installed more than 10 yrs ago. The cable was adjusted upon installation. But thanks for the heads up.

ktisdale_2
11-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys for the input, I am going to see what I can find and take all of your advice to heart when buying. I will be back shortly with an update to how it all turns out and what I decide to go with.

Add your comment to this topic!