Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Resin Question

Plasticmodeler702
11-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I am thinking about trying to start casting resin, and I feel that I understand it to a point, and I think I can do it. I just wanted to know how dangerous it is. I was reading a model car magazine and it said not to breath resin well sanding it, its dangerous... So if I did it outside, and wore gloves and a respirator, would it be safe?

What about if I display my cars in my house that have resin parts, is it ok to be around them? Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but I do understand that this hobby does contain alot of harmful chemicals such as paints, puttys, and glues, I just want to know and take every precaution that I can. Thanks for any help.

rsxse240
11-09-2006, 09:59 PM
safety is never a stupid question.

indeed MOST resins are toxic, some are safe once cured. this should be discovered in your search for your desired resin. personally, I use a dust mask when sanding ANYTHING, I have really bad allergies. in most cases, your resin will be safe once cured, but don't breathe the dust while sanding. if you can do the sanding outside, then by all means, this will help keep your house clean too. but if you do your sanding/cutting indoors, make sure you can vacuum up all of the dust, so keep your desk/work area cleaned up so you don't suck up any small parts, or decals with the vac.

once your model is done, and it's on the shelf, it's safe to be around, just don't let any children around them. god forbid you let your 2 year old around your models anyway.

just use common sense and safety precautions, and you'll be just fine.

klutz_100
11-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Be safe and wear a mask, wear gloves when working with the resins, silicone and catalysts while casting but ABOVE ALL, wear eye protection!

Everything is potentially harmfull in our hobby but, unless you are going to be into inhuman quantities of model mass production, let's not get carried away ;-)

TBH you're in more danger of a bad cut with your hobby knife, inhaling a load of bad fumes when flushing yiur airbrush out with auto thinners or some small part flying into your eye...

Basic common sense and caution will suffice.

Good luck with your casting!

Plasticmodeler702
11-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the information guys. It really helps. It will probably be a while until I start, I need more money, haha, but I will post my progress once I do. Thanks agian

RallyRaider
11-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Biggest danger with hobby resin is inhaling the dust when sanding. When set and undistubed they should be 100% safe. If unsure ask the producer/seller to provide a Material Safety Data Sheet setting out exactly what the dangers and precautions are.

nugundam93
11-10-2006, 05:41 PM
definitely always wear a mask when sanding resin parts. or preferably, wetsand them and keep a tub handy to dip the parts in once in a while.

Add your comment to this topic!