Possible to remove paint from car without damaging clear coat?

Ron1979
11-09-2006, 08:06 AM
I know this is an automotive forum, and im not sure if this is the correct place to be asking this but i know how intelligent everyone here is so i thought i would give it a shot. When driving home last night from work someone in front of me hit a bag of which appeared to be a white liquid. Well needless to say when i woke up this mornin I confirmed my assumption. It was white paint, and the little white specs are all over the front of my car, side mirrors, and window!!!

My question is there any way to remove this unwanted paint without damaging the clear coat or current paint? Or am I stuck getting another paint job? Thank you all!

xeroinfinity
11-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Best bet is to get a buffer and some good paste wax and try to remove it.

Dont push down to hard on the buffer, that will create swirle marks and look even worse then the splattered paint.

If the wasx doesnt remove it, try some buffing compound which is a little more abrasive then the wax.

Hope that helps!

grfnkl
11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
if they are little paint globs stuck to the car, you can try to chipp them off with your finger nails if it's dry. If they come off easy, then you can try to wash them off with a sponge and soapy water, and rub moderately. If by chance that doesn't work, you can try what XI was saying as well. You could also try a polishing compound, it's mildy abrasive, but should do the trick. good luck

Ron1979
11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the help....i went out to auto zone and the guy told me to try some rubbing compound. It says that its clear coat safe.....ill give this a shot and thanks to you guys i have a few more things to try....thank you!!

xeroinfinity
11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
:uhoh:
I meant to say wash it first, that way you get the big stuff off and youre not rubbing it into the clearcoat. :sorry:

Add your comment to this topic!