Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine oil stop leak?

heavyredchevy
11-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Has anyone had any luck with this stuff? If so, what brand have you used?

rhandwor
11-08-2006, 08:17 PM
I have used it and it only works for the old type seals not neoprene seals.
I forgot the brand I used.

heavyredchevy
11-08-2006, 09:02 PM
What type of seals are in an 89 5.7L

rhandwor
11-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Unless you changed them I'm sure the neoprene seals. You can always try it but I think a full day and front and rear main seals is the way to go.

2000CAYukon
11-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Has anyone had any luck with this stuff? If so, what brand have you used?

Which seal is leaking? On my 90, I thought the rear main was leaking but it turned out to be the oil filter adapter O-ring and gasket. Much easier job than a rear main and no more leaks.

The only hassle is the oil cooling lines have to be removed at the oil filter adapter and it is a messy job.

Fel-pro makes a gasket set that has everything you need and I think it cost me around $11 for the gasket set.

//2000CAYukon

heavyredchevy
11-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I was hoping for a temp. fix just to get me through school. I was planing on stroking it to a 383 anyway i guess.

heavyredchevy
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Which seal is leaking? On my 90, I thought the rear main was leaking but it turned out to be the oil filter adapter O-ring and gasket. Much easier job than a rear main and no more leaks.

The only hassle is the oil cooling lines have to be removed at the oil filter adapter and it is a messy job.

Fel-pro makes a gasket set that has everything you need and I think it cost me around $11 for the gasket set.

//2000CAYukon

Im not 100% sure its the rear main. I didnt think it was the oil filter adapter just because it was dripping in the middle not off to the side. I guess it could be running down something to the middle though.

2000CAYukon
11-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Im not 100% sure its the rear main. I didnt think it was the oil filter adapter just because it was dripping in the middle not off to the side. I guess it could be running down something to the middle though.

In my case, the oil was dripping from the TC cover shield on the tranny. The oil was going down the lip of the pan and dripping on to the TC cover. I thought for sure is was the rear main until I took a good look and even then I was not 100% sure.

//2000CAYukon

Add your comment to this topic!