Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Accident - Repairs

vjo
11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
just wondering if anyone knows approximately how much it would cost to repair a 2003 isuzu rodeo (40,000 miles) with the front end really smashed in, air bags deployed, car won't start, etc. i was in an accident - not my fault, going about 45 miles per hour and the insurance adjuster (the other party's insurance company) says the car can be fixed. personally, i thought it was totalled - the car looked really jacked (the hood looked about half as long as normal all smashed in and the car was leaking stuff and the front doors were hard to open).

anyways, just wanted some input to see if this adjuster is full of it or if that ruling seemed reasonable. thanks for the help!

Ramblin Fever
11-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, anymore, seems like they like to fix them rather then total them - part of this problem is because the pricing of vehicles has climbed so much.

Bad part is, if it's smashed enough that it's leaking more then just antifreeze (typical injury area) and the doors are hard to open, that rig took quite a jolt. If it were mine and they insisted on fixing it, I'd for sure be parting with it soon after.

You're frame may even be tweaked a bit. But, in my experience, when they're hit that hard, you tend to start EATING through tires, transmissions are never the same, and the list goes on.

Not sure what your bluebook is, but I'm guessing around $8-11k, seeing as the values of Isuzu's tend to drop fast - BUT, this may be in your favor in terms of totaling the truck. That is, of course, if you want them to total it??

3yrs ago, I was involved in a front-end collision in my '97 Rodeo, it was 5yrs old with 110k or so, bluebook, I think was around $6k or so. Thankfully I was not going that fast, maybe 10-15 mph; however, it mangled the hood, bumper, and side panels pretty good.

Truck came out free of any mechanical, frame damage however, didn't even touch the radiator - total to fix then was around $2k or so. They obviously fixed it, and I haven't had any type of mechanical issues due to the accident.

But, in your case, I'd personally want it totalled.

Good luck, let us know. Got any pictures??

vjo
11-08-2006, 01:15 AM
thanks for the response and ya, i was thinking the car being totalled was the best bet. the fact the adjuster said it was repairable was surprising. my brother took a couple pics with his cell camera (not sure how to send that?) and he, tow truck driver and grandparents thought the car was done. which really sucks cause i loved my rodeo - if fixed, i doubt it will ever be the same.

johngyver
11-08-2006, 10:46 AM
My dad has been in body work for 30 years... today they will cut a car in half and replace the entire half car with new and/or replacement parts. I have seen it done.... talk about shocked to see two "halves" put together. Anyway, make damn sure that you have someone with you that knows their stuff about wrecked cars (I use my dad) because they would know what to look for as far as supplimental damage. The insurance company will replace everything as long as you catch it... if they think they can slide, they will... leaving you with a long term problem that will haunt you down the road. So find an expert with a fine tooth comb to help you... and make the insurance company pay for what ever accident related damage is found. Insurance companies "in general" will try to get out of paying for all kinds of stuff.... if you let them.

The car can be put back together nicely if done right... most of the time "hack artists" are fixing wrecked cars. Choose a good shop with some sort of quality assurance program.... that way you have an avenue to vent in case something comes up down the road.... also ask about what time lines you may have after the repair to make a supplimental claim of addititional damage discovered.... I think you have like 30-90 days to drive the vehicle and make sure it is working properly. You can have your repair shop look into the claim, verify the accident related damage and have them work with the insurance company to get the car back in the shop for the insurance covered repair. As far as transmission, motor, etc is concerned... complain the second you notice something wrong... those issues are harder to make a claim on in a wreck... so complain the same day you pick up the car if you notice anything and demand that it gets fixed.

Good luck!

Johngyver

rodeo02
11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Like Johngyver says, anything can be fixed these days & from a quick look over, you'll never know the difference. Use a reputable shop and stay involved with insurance co and the shop. Lots of insurance co's like to use aftermarket or used parts if possible. One complaint (you have to catch it in their estimate) and they will typically go with new/OEM. It's a pain, but you can keep going back until you are happy.

Joel

HI JOHN
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Here is the deal ! The adjuster wants you to take your car to one of their shops so they can save mone. Here is the thing, if they want to fix your car tell them that you are going to take it to the dealer to get repair and don't settle for less than the dealer. He will then totaled your car.
Good luck.:smokin:

Ramblin Fever
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
I do believe you can fix it to tip top shape physically and never know the difference; but I don't know if mechanically it would be completely free of issues in the future due to the accident - specially the clutch or auto transmission.

Sad thing is, if there's no obvious issues with those mechanical aspects NOW, but say 6 mnths or so down the line, something comes up, there's no guarantee that it will get fixed at no cost to you at a later time.

Man, I feel for you - good luck. It's a nightmare to have to deal with, and the insurance company WILL try to cheat you. I had to call EVERY single day on my truck and it took 6 weeks to repair. Damage was nothing in comparison to yours.

Add your comment to this topic!