Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Decal problem

Ranger_X
09-12-2002, 12:24 AM
I put the interior of my AMT lightning together a couple of months ago. I painted the seats gloss black with acrylic and put the decals that say "lightning" across them. Problem is, I'm not too happy with the paint choice and finish and the decals don't appear to blend in at all, you can see the outline. Could i remove the decals without damaging them, then re-apply them after I coat the seats with different paint? Should I use a spray enamel or lacquer? How could I get the decals to appear as if they're part of the seat, would spraying with clear coat after (will have to use lacquer as it will attack the enamel) solve that, or will it attck the decals?
Thanx!

hirofkd
09-12-2002, 01:46 AM
Moisten the decal well, or even drop the part in warm water, so that the decal lifts off itself. But this will probably remove adhesion, so decal setting solution might be necessary when you reapply it.

The type of paint is not really a big concern, so use whichever is appropriate.
Make sure it's applied smoothly though, because decal hates coarse surface.

Trim the unnecessary carrying film if you can, with a very sharp hobby knife, such as Xacto or Olfa.

Apply the decal again, and coat it with clear top coat. GSI Creos (formerly Gunze) makes clear top coat, which is deal to protect decals, and you have three options to choose from, gloss, semi-gloss and flat. It's water base acrylic, so it's easy on decals.

Add your comment to this topic!