Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Gauge won't work

cowcollector
11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I have a 97 Chevy Blazer and the gas gauge will not work. We just replaced the fuel pump and now the guage no longer works. It worked before !! Can someone please tell me why this has happened ? We changed the whole unit, this is the only way it comes.

cowcollector
11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I have a 97 Chevy Blazer and the gas gauge will not work. We just replaced the fuel pump and now the guage no longer works. It worked before !! Can someone please tell me why this has happened ? We changed the whole unit, this is the only way it comes. PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

alesha183
11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
I have the same problem with my 97 chevy blazer. But I have not changed the fuel pump. I just woke up one morining and stupid thing didnt work. I was given a quote to fix it one time and if I remember right, it was like 300 bucks. They have to replace something inside the tank itself. Im sure I'm not much help but it's nice to know you aren't alone.

alesha183
11-09-2006, 11:32 PM
OHHH by the way. I usually drive about 250miles, keep track on the mileage ticker thing and then go get gas. So far I haven't run out of fuel yet!! Hope I am some help!!

cowcollector
11-09-2006, 11:37 PM
My fuel pump sounds like it it running all the time does yours

alblogg
11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Well to answer cowcollector first when you replaced the fuel pump yes it came with a new gauge sending unit which is very fragile did you bump it putting it in the tank and did you work the float to see if it moved freely? Also did you replace the wiring harness when you replaced the pump? A new wiring harness should have been installed. If you was easy putting in the pump and put on a new harness the connection might be loose try tightening up the plugs.
As for alesha183 join the world Blazers. Here your gas gauge works or it don't work. You spend $300 for a fuel pump you don't need yet to get the gauge sending unit and pay someone or spend two to four hours under there doing it yourself to have a gas gauge or do like you and keep up with your mileage until your pump does go out. OBTW there is another option you can buy just the gauge sending unit and replace but after you pay someone to pull your pump and replace it if you luck is like mine your pump will go out the next week right after you have topped off your tank at the gas station.

BlazerLT
11-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Sending unit is probably shot or you have the 1997 ignition switch problem.

Almsot all 1997 ignition switches fail. I suggest you replace that first seeing it could solve the problem and you will need to replace the switch anyways.

Chris Stewart
11-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Changing the pump/sender fixed mine about 18 months ago.
The original had 3 tiny "wipers" on the pot and the replacement has 2 large wipers.

blazes9395
11-10-2006, 09:08 PM
The sender is most likely the problem. It needs to be replaced, very common problem.

twistedtech
11-11-2006, 12:00 PM
I've said it before in here,it's the sending unit.They are as fragile as the wife 2 days before the longest week of your life.The piviot point is very weak on these units.You can try to tighten it up yourself,if you have the know how,or just replace the sending unit.The shop should have known this.

alblogg
11-11-2006, 04:10 PM
:iagree: each and everyone of these answers could be the the correct solution to both of your problems. If you used a Carter brand fuel pump you will not have to deal with your gas gauge not working but for a little over a year and a half and you will probably be replacing it again anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!