Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trouble starting

JoelKoch
11-06-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a 92 eagle talon and every morning (or any long period of time) it has trouble starting. At first it just turns over. then it starts to chug then die. and pafter about 5 minutes it starts. It seems that the longer the car sits the longer it takes to start. Any ideas? Fuel pump? regulator?

Thor06
11-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey man. Please give the rules in my signature a look over. Also, be sure to use the right subforums and do a quick search before you ask a question. Welcome to AF. :thumbsup:

gthompson97
11-06-2006, 06:51 PM
When was the last time you gave the car a tune-up?

JoelKoch
11-06-2006, 08:08 PM
No, i havnt given it any tune ups in awhile. Actually, I just bought the car about two months ago. Another problem that i believe is connected is that once I do get it running, the throttle take a few seconds to kick in when pressed(this goes away after about a minute). Do you think that all of this is linked to lack of tune ups? I mean i know it wouldn't hurt any, but if possible I would like any feedback you have because i would like to get this car running top notch.

Thanks

P.S. Its an Eagle Talon 2.0L 4Cyl, not a Tsi...i only wish

gthompson97
11-06-2006, 09:45 PM
So you press the pedal and it takes awhile for the RPM's to actually go up? Check these things:

-Throttle cable
-TPS is plugged in
-MAS is plugged in
-(all other intake sensors plugged in)
-Make sure there are no vacuum leaks

If all those check out okay, then check the TPS to make sure it's working correctly. Check those things first and then come back and I'll let you know how to test the TPS.

JoelKoch
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Alright, thanks for that one, the throttle cable was loose, but heres another one for you. Sometimes I'll go to star the car and I get absolutly nothing from the starter (usually when hot), but it seems that cool it always turns over fine. I thought it may just be a faulty wire so i changed the positive feed to the starter, and im still getting nothing from the starter. I got the starter checked out and everything works fine. Any ideas?

TalonEclipseMixGsx
11-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Sounds to me like it could be a starter solenoid, do you hear the starter click when you turn the key? A few vehicles that ive worked on had this problem and it ended up bein the solenoid that was getting overheated i think its called heat lock but dont quote me on that, not sure if these have heatshields over them or not i never really checked.

As for original problem, sounds like either a charging or fuel problem. Try a battery load test correct me if im wrong but i think if voltage drops below 9v the battery needs replacing. Also check the starter draw. Make sure alternators putting out.

With the fuel you might want to go ahead and replace the filter who knows when the last time was it was changed. Do a thorough tuneup since you dont know how it was treated before you got the car. I started from scratch when i got my gsx. Replaced plugs wires all filters etc.

gthompson97
11-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Joel, when you get the starting problem does everything else electronically work? If you have a semi-loose battery cable, sometimes you'll get nothing from the starter, but then again nothing else would work either.

JoelKoch
11-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Yea, everything else in the car works electronically. I think the advise about the selonoid getting heat lock makes a lot of sense. The cold stater/selonoid would have checked out fine when i got it tested. Had i brought it in warm it probably wouldn't have worked. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I did end up changing the fuel filter today and it did look like hell...The more I work on this car, the more I realize that the last owner was a complete moron. Or maybe just lazy. Im sure Ill be back soon enough with more questions haha. Thanks again.

JoelKoch
11-24-2006, 09:45 AM
hey heres another question. The car in the morning has to turn over numerous times before it will actually fire. I know, I know there are numerous threads about this problem. I have just one simple questions though. I changed the fuel filter and it didn't help any. I know i should check/change the TPS but lets say that isnt the problem also. Is there anything else i could be before i have to go through the trouble of changing the fuel pump?

thanx

Scrapper
11-24-2006, 10:17 AM
i'd have fuel pump presure checked before taking it out...you can get a guage for about $20 because you take it out and it's not the problem your going to be very unhappy....

Add your comment to this topic!