Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

high HC and CO air clean test

zung
11-06-2006, 04:28 PM
In where I live cars must go through clean air test from time to time. Mine could not pass due to high HC and CO ... The government brochure cited a reason for this is bad Oxygen Sensor. My car is Camry 95. I recently had it tuned up but not replacing the sensor. The car also have a Engine Check light on. I am thinking about replacing the sensor myself.

Is it a doable job for car owners ? If so please provide step-by-step instructions. I appreciate any help/suggestion.

KimMG
11-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Yes, you can probably do it yourself. Find out exactly why the CEL is on, it may help in determining why the car is running rich. Some chain auto parts stores will read the codes for free.

ProMan
11-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Welcome!

Goto Autozone, they will read it for you. Then you can have a better idea what is wrong. Do not spend money just on your guess. If it's the Ox sensor, you should be able to diy. Refer to some manuals posted on top of this forum, you should have a pretty good idea what it takes. Good luck.

Brian R.
11-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I have been told that Autozone will not read '95s. Only '96s and later models since OBDII became mandatory in '96.

For a '95, if you have a V6, then your engine is OBDII and get someone who will to read the codes for you. Some shops will loan you a OBDII meter (maybe Autozone will...?).

If you have a 2.2L, then you have to follow the instructions outlined in the '94 manual linked to in the sticky post at the top of this forum. Alternatively, see the applicable post in the FAQ thread for the procedure.

Either way, get the code and go from there.

Add your comment to this topic!