help deciding

auto-drive
09-11-2002, 03:59 PM
hello,
i am in the market to buying a new car within the next few months or so.. so far i have "narrowed" it down to the following (in no particular order):

used s4
350z
s2000
EVO 7 or 8
WRX STi
IS300
new a4
.. etc...

i was originally thinking of buying an evo 7 from E.I. but financing may be difficult, as with finding a mechanic that knows how to work with the 7.. i am still waiting for the spec on teh 8, (as i am sure that a lot of you are as well)

a used s4 would be nice, but with the full redesign of the a4, its hard to be happy with the a4.. oh wait. i mean. s4's styling.. =P i have also heard that its shifting bogs or lags at times.

the s2000 would be a great weekend fun car. i currently drive a camry, so the practicallity issue is not a factor. although summer is about over, the bay area is a nice place to have a convertible.
the s2000's lack of torque makes me rethink though.

i am not sure what the WRX STi is gonna offer, so i am putting that off to the side with the evo.

lexus' is300.. IMO is a nice looking car, but is somewhat underpowered compared to the infux of cars that will appear within the next year or two.

new a4.. basically same as the is300.. i would only get it for the pure luxury experience. but is grossly underpowered..

also side note//
the problem with gettin a car that has just came out is the dealer's markup.. this would be a problem mainly with the 350, evo, wrx... so i was thinking more of the lines of a s2000.. (which itslef has been marked up in the 1st 2 years of its debut)

random:
i have heard that the s2000 is limited in its production.. correct me if i am wrong.. thanks =)

sorry everything is soo unorganized..
i have a lot more thoughts on this and dont kno how to present it to you guys....., but i have other stuff to do.. =P thanks in advance for your help..
i will post some more of my concerns/questions/etc.. later...
:)

-e

THE4TH
09-12-2002, 01:57 PM
i would go with the s2000...:D
120hp/l
and i don't care what people say about the lack of tq. get in one and stomp it and see if the 9k's of rev through each gear is enough for ya..
i like some of your other choices.. like the is300 but it's the same price as the s2k.. and a used s4 would be sweet.. i would quite enjoy one of those..
some of the cars on the list have the s2k beaten in power or some in luxury and so on and so forth but i think the s2k is the best for the money.. 32k... and it is limited production.. this was supposed to be the last year but they are making the 2003, so wait just a bit and get a brand new 2003, although there are no changes from 2002 to 2003...
but it also depends on what your drivin it for..
the evo and the wrx, are rally cars.. and the is300, and the s4 or a4 are luxury, and the s2k is a sunday racer and a daily driver.. so it all boils down to what you need it for.. :D

DVSNCYNIKL
09-12-2002, 02:01 PM
I'm biased to the WRX in the choices you provided. Simply from a modifying perspective.:)

auto-drive
09-12-2002, 07:22 PM
thanks for the replies =)

as of now. i am leaning towards an s2000 or an is300.
the s2000: covertible, RWD, 240hp, limited production, 9k redline
the is300: MT or AT. option, luxury, RWD, a rapidly growing aftermarket(turbo kits that are readily available offering over 300+ hp.. but with a price tag of around 6-7K)

hmm.. what about resale value, insurance, and repairs... :(

in my area i would be able to find a brand new is300 at around the 29k range.
as for the s2000.. finding the 32k msrp may be a challenge.
get an is300 now save the ~3k difference and work toward getting a turbo kit, or get an s2000 and leave it stock for a while

im in no rush to buy
that do you guys think?

thanks
-e

THE4TH
09-12-2002, 11:48 PM
you can turbo or supercharge anything....
i'd rather have the better stock car.. if your looking for hp..
but in all fairness if your looking for really high numbers.. the is300 does have a 6 in it where the s2k is a 4 so eventually the s2k will run out of room to put power through.. they are both too new to see who can get more power oout of either one since the aftermarket for both cars is new as well.. but in time.. i agree with you 2 choices the s2k and the is300, i like both very much.. few things though..
the is300 is luxurious and nice and clean and offers a lot of stuff, but there are 75 million of them all over the place.. where as there are only a handfull of s2k's out there.. if you read my sig, it'll explain the s2k's story.. about dream for a tuner.. again it all depends.. if you have people in your car often then you would have to go with an is300 cause obviously the s carries 2..
i really like the is300 though, it's very spacious, i'm at 6 feet and i can sit in the front, put the driver seat back and then hop behind it and still have room.. i was impressed.. i hate the shift knob on the is300 though.. i know it's a minor thing but it's a big thing to me..
it's all up in the air they both have their own points it all comes down to which points you need the most..

YogsVR4
09-13-2002, 04:07 PM
My personal preference from the list is the S2000. Since you dont have to worry about winter weather like we have up north here, you'll appreciate having a convertable.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

THE4TH
09-13-2002, 07:43 PM
yogs speaks the truth... i'll side with anyone who has a vr4.. :D

auto-drive
09-13-2002, 08:04 PM
turbo on anything eh? hehe try my 96 camry. ;) ive only heard of a handful of homemade kits on toyotanation.com.
i bring up the issue of a turbo kit on an is300 is because the main reason i am holding back on gettin an is300 is the "lack of power" other than that the looks, luxury, name, RWD, fun, "sportiness".. etc... all bring me to wanting to buy one. the turbo kit is a ~quick fix for the problem. :P

having only 2 seats on the s2000 is no problem because i intend on keeping the camry.

more to come.. =P
thanks

-e

auto-drive
09-13-2002, 08:07 PM
ohhHh yeah. VR4 spyder. =) hehe , do you ever use the hardtop vr4? ;) hehe

ive personally never seen one on the road in the bay area. extremely rare.

top down, AWD, twin turbo.. :smoka: ohhhhhh

THE4TH
09-13-2002, 10:39 PM
yeah the vr4 is a sweet azz car... i've always wanted one..
but if it's turbo you want.. if you look hard enough you could find one for the s2k.. i know they have lots of superchargers for it.. the comptech supercharger is awesome, i've seen a few with them in ..
they burn ass-fault, but it's always an easy fix..
but it's your call.. if you drive a camry i think going to an s2k will take care of your hunger for speed and power, at least for now till you can get some forced induction into it..

auto-drive
09-15-2002, 03:07 AM
the4th,
a few questions bout your car =)

(sorry there are a lot)

how is the s2000? hehe
what brought you to buying one?
what other cars did you look into before buying it?
or, did you buy it knowing that there are goin to be a lot more cars coming out in the next year or so?
daily driver?
hows your insurance?
i've heard that you have to change the tires about every 12k miles.. true?
hows the milage?
do u always have to use premium gas?
what color is it? :D
do u have the hard top? if so, is it a pain in the butt to move and hook up? price?
any mods? ;)
how much did you pay for it?
did you get hit by the dealers markup? :(
9k redline.. fun? heh
easy for a novice stick driver to get used to?

anything i miss? hehe

sorry again for soo many questions...

thanks =)

-e

street_racer_00
09-15-2002, 01:35 PM
For the love of God, be patient and wait until january of '03 when the Evo VIII comes out. 2 liters, turbocharged, 270 horsepower, AWD, 0-60 in under 5 seconds.......all for just 28 grand.

THE4TH
09-15-2002, 02:56 PM
the4th,
a few questions bout your car =)

(sorry there are a lot)

how is the s2000? hehe
what brought you to buying one?
what other cars did you look into before buying it?
or, did you buy it knowing that there are goin to be a lot more cars coming out in the next year or so?
daily driver?
hows your insurance?
i've heard that you have to change the tires about every 12k miles.. true?
hows the milage?
do u always have to use premium gas?
what color is it?
do u have the hard top? if so, is it a pain in the butt to move and hook up? price?
any mods?
how much did you pay for it?
did you get hit by the dealers markup?
9k redline.. fun? heh
easy for a novice stick driver to get used to?

anything i miss? hehe

sorry again for soo many questions...

thanks =)

-e

sup E
i love the car and enjoy driving it more and more..
the reason i bought one was because.. well it's an s2000
i'm a honda fan always have been and i know there were other cars out there but unless it's a honda it isn't an option so why would i not want the apex of hondas engineering..
i looked into no other cars....:D
it is a daily driver, some of the time, i switch between the s and my civic...right now i'm drivin the civic..
insurance isn't bad at all , i use geico, and my rate through them was 2k lower than some places.. but then again i'm 22..:rolleyes:
i don't know about the tired, i have only 4k miles on mine..
i always use premium gas, on all my cars..
my car is spa yellow pearl..
i was looking into the hard top at purchase but i could care less, it's the only convertable honda why would i want to make it not.. i prefer the auto top, which is pretty quick i might add..
as for price... i got mine for 200 over msrp.. but with my trade in put me under.. it is possible to get it at msrp, there are a group of dealers who are dedicated to selling it at msrp..
as for mods.. i have none now.. i am working on my civic instead.. the s is fast enough i'm not some freak who needs a turbo everything..
the dealer markup was a sticker of 42.8k when i walked in i paid 33 for it.. the msrp was 32.8 after all was said and done with the trade and some junk it was a great deal
the 9k redline rules.. i've owned a teg gsr, and a type r, and now the si and s2k.. all redline at 8 or above.. i have enjoyed every monent of each .. in the s you hit vtec around 5,850 rpms or so .. and from there till 9k it jerks ya in the seat.. if your getting on the highway at wot, it'll put ya back .. it's a fiesty car.. not to mention the cool digital dash..
and it's extrememly easy to drive.. if your not racing it.. even then it's pretty easy.... you'll have no problem .. it's a nice small 6 spd...
anything else i can help ya with just let me know..

auto-drive
09-15-2002, 04:36 PM
i was doing some mad research on the evo7 for the past few months.. just to find out there is gonna be an evo8.. =T .. i hope they are gonna have ACD and AYC for the 8. (even though i may never use it in a dire situation.. its just nice to know its there)
the thing is.. i am not willing to pay anything over MSRP for a car. personal preference. thats all. it just bugs me to know that i paid over the premium price for a car that someone else paid around invoice just because he waited a few months..or year =P . sure, i would love to be the 1st one on the block with an evo, dont get me wrong here.

im just going to have to wait and see what the dealers are going to do with the evos price.
if they are willing to negotiate near MSRP, then we may have a sale. hopefully the STi will drive the DSM dealer to give me a good deal =)

also... thanks for all the info the4th

-e

THE4TH
09-15-2002, 05:22 PM
not a problem man .. goodluck with the evo...

YogsVR4
09-16-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by auto-drive
ohhHh yeah. VR4 spyder. =) hehe , do you ever use the hardtop vr4? ;) hehe

ive personally never seen one on the road in the bay area. extremely rare.

top down, AWD, twin turbo.. :smoka: ohhhhhh

I use the Coupe whenever the weather looks like I cant drop the top :)

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

THE4TH
09-16-2002, 02:45 PM
i love the spyder but do you find that it gives up a bit of frame strength... do you notice.. ?

YogsVR4
09-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by THE4TH
i love the spyder but do you find that it gives up a bit of frame strength... do you notice.. ?

Not really. One of the reasons its a few hundred pounds heavier then the coup is because of the extra framing they did to keep it rigid.

THE4TH
09-16-2002, 05:08 PM
i have to say i love the vr4 more and more each day...
and the spyder looks sweet as all hell

Add your comment to this topic!