Tranny shift problem fix

doadodge
11-05-2006, 10:33 PM
The tranny on my 02 4wd Dodge truck developed shifting problems.

I ended up fixing it by replacing the shift selonoid and pressure switch. They were just inside the pan when I took the cover off.

My son fixed his shifting problems with his Jeep Grand Cherokee the same way.

We were both guilty of not servicing our trannys. The sludge builds up in the shift selonoid or pressure switch or both. I'm guessing that most tranny shops know about this but sell Millions of dollars worth of rebuilds and new trannys instead of this relatively easy and inexpensive repair. ($200)

sandman96
11-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Glad you got it fixed but exactly what kind of shifting problems did you have?

doadodge
11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
My truck wouldn't start from 1st or shift down to it. It just worked in 2nd and up.

My son's jeep wouldn't shift into 2nd. It would start in 1st, rev up pretty high and shift into 3rd.

We both did the same thing to fix them.

Remove tranny pan, unplugged the shift selonoid and pressure switch, removed the cluster that they were in (6 bolts), replaced them with new ones, installed them in the cluster, installed that in the tranny, plugged them in and replaced the pan, replaced the fluid.

I also unhooked the battery while I did it so the computer would forget the old codes and only new ones would appear. None appeared.

doadodge
11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
You might be able to "pressure wash" the switch and selonoid with a spray can of carburator cleaner. It may clean out the sludge and let it work. I wish I had tried that.

The 2 parts were $140 from an on-line Dodge parts dealer including shipping. The Tucson Dodge parts department wanted $230 including tax.

rwilber
11-11-2006, 07:17 PM
who was the online parts dealer???

got a link???

doadodge
11-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure. Try this one.

www.moparpartz.com

Add your comment to this topic!