Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hickups at idle?

OSUCowboy27
11-05-2006, 07:59 PM
2001 2.4L, 93,700 miles

This car runs great but the rpms quickly drop about 200 rpms at idle and then return to normal. It does not matter it it is in gear or in park. I have replace the plugs with ac delco, and replaced the air and fuel filters. There are no codes or check engine lights. I am going to add a good injector cleaner and see if that helps. Any suggestions?

xeroinfinity
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
When you replaced the plugs did you replace the boots(wires) too?

If you didnt might try that if the injector cleaner doesnt help.

OSUCowboy27
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
When you replaced the plugs did you replace the boots(wires) too?

If you didnt might try that if the injector cleaner doesnt help.

Did not know that the boots needed changed since there are no plug wires. What is the part number for the boots? I am trying some Lucas injector cleaner first and then pull the plugs and make sure they are seated and then the boots.

xeroinfinity
11-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Yes they do wear out, and do need replaced just like a plug wires do.

IMO Lucas injector cleaner is top notch!
Since I've been using it every 45-60 days, I've had 0 misfires for a year. Which before it happened regularly.

I believe this is the GM Part # 12576465

OSUCowboy27
11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
I found some at O'Reilly's (Borg Warner)for $4 per boot. I am going to get 4 and put them on even if the Lucas takes care of the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. I will post when i find out for sure what the problem was.

OSUCowboy27
11-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Well, the Lucas injector cleaner sure helped smooth the idle but it still was acting up so I changed the spark plug connectors and I still have the problem. It is not near as bad and does not do it as often. I noticed that it hickups when the engine is warm and all accesories are off.

OSUCowboy27
11-10-2006, 07:36 AM
My other thought would be Spark Plug gap. I was told not to gap to AC Delco Spark Plugs because they came pregapped. Is this true. Might look for vacuum leak. Does this car have a PCV Valve? Anyone have any ideas?

xeroinfinity
11-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I always hav checked the plugs anway, should be .60 .

Though as I said before, one of your injector could be dirty/clogged, the injector cleanrs dont work overnight, takes some time.

Hav you changed the fuel filter ?

You could hav a vacum leak on the intake manifold , check the hoses connections.

A leaky EGR valve(or bad emissions control system) can also cause some miss at idle.

Good Hunting

Add your comment to this topic!