Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I know if my car is setup for keyless remote

dwitczak
11-05-2006, 06:49 AM
I have a 99 taurus wagon. I want to get a remote to unlock the car. How do I know if the car is setup for it. I just bought it and it did not come with remotes.

MyTaurus8AChevy
11-05-2006, 12:33 PM
You may not be that lucky. You may have to buy the entire system in which case it would be cheaper to add an aftermarket keyless system. You could also call the junk yards to see how much they cost from there. The factory system would be eaiser for you to install, unless you're having the aftermarket system installed for you.

mwt878991
11-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Cycle the key on and off 8 times.

If the doors lock you have keyless remote

You can then buy a pair of remotes off of ebay for approx 20 bucks

Mike
:smokin:

dwitczak
11-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Ok, I cycled the key on & off 8 times and the locks, locked. I see alot of them on ebay. Will there be any problem programing them if I do not have a working remote?

mwt878991
11-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Ok, I cycled the key on & off 8 times and the locks, locked. I see alot of them on ebay. Will there be any problem programing them if I do not have a working remote?

Nope. Buy them and they will come with instructions.

I bought mine from this guy on ebay and they work just fine.

http://myworld.ebay.com/carandtruckremotes/

Mike

:smokin:

FordBoss88
03-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Please explain "cycling the key".

Thank You.

Onblsht
03-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Do not press brake pedal during REMOTE ENTRY programming procedure as it will immediately exit you from that mode. Electronically unlock the vehicle prior to attempting to enter Remote Entry Programming Mode. Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times with 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode. Within 20 seconds press any button on the 1st remote transmitter. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. Within 20 seconds press any button on the 2nd transmitter. (Up to 4 transmitters total possible.) Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Huney1
03-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Dwitczak: Here's your programming instructions: http://stores.ebay.com/Car-and-Truck-Remotes_PROGRAMMING-INSTRUCTIONS_W0QQfsubZ11QQsspagenameZSTOREQ3aHTMLB UILDERQ3aADVANCEDPAGEQQtZkm

Someone please tell me: Our 03 SES has theft guard and does that mean it has the computer chip in the key? Little red light on the dash blinks when it is parked. I was told if you lose the key with the chip in it the only place you can get a new one is at the Ford place for about $85. bucks. If you don't have a key with the chip in it and put it in the key switch and turn it that disables the electrical system and it won't run and it must be towed in to be reset. Right, wrong :dunno: I dunno'.

I looked at the e bay link and I saw this about remote batteries:

YOU SHOULD REPLACE A BATTERY IN YOUR REMOTE EVERY COUPLE OF MONTHS.

Say what? We had two Ford products, Taurus we had about a year and Merc almost two years neither remote ever had new batteries. I think somebody is 'woofing' us about replacing them every TWO months because we had a few vehicles with remotes and never replaced a battery in any of them.

Millermagic
03-16-2007, 09:41 AM
I replaced the battery and I lost range for the keyfob. And if you have the blinking theft light that means you have PATS ... don't know if that has anything to do with keyless entry or not.

retrohwam
03-16-2007, 01:49 PM
The trick with the PATS key is "preventive medicine". You can program your own IF you have two programmed keys in your possession. So before you lose one of your two programmed keys get a couple off of ebay for $25 for the pair - get them cut at a local shop (our local Lowes cut mine for a buck a piece with me providing the blanks - and program them youself. (similiar to programing the transmitters - instructions come with the keys)

I've never replaced a battery in a transmitter.

Duane

TaurusKing
03-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Here's some info on the PATS disabling;
Vehicle Disabling

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) will be activated and disable the vehicle from starting if any of the following conditions exist:

l damaged encoded key

l unprogrammed key

l non-encoded key (key has no electronics)

l wiring concern

l transceiver concern

l PATS control module concern

l J-1850 Communications Network concern

l Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

l less than 2 keys programmed to the module

l no PCM ID stored in PATS

l PATS/PCM IDs do not match

Some more info:
«1999 Taurus/Sable Table of Contents»
«Group 13: Instrumentation and Warning Systems»
«Section 13-11B: Anti-Theft System, Passive»
«DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION»

Anti-Theft System, Passive

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a driveaway theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLock® in North America, Safeguard® in the U.K., and PATS in continental Europe. This information can be found in customer literature such as the owner's manual.

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code out of over 72 million billion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into a vehicle's PATS module before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic service procedures outlined in this manual that must be performed if the encoded ignition keys need to be replaced.

The encoded key is larger than a traditional ignition key. The key does not require batteries and should last the life of the vehicle.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud, and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the PATS module.

The control functions are contained in the PATS module. This module performs all of the PATS functions, such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The PATS module initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

The PATS uses the powertrain control module (PCM) to enable or disable the engine. The PATS module communicates with the PCM over the J1850 network in order to enable engine operation. The PATS module and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to deter a theft. The PATS and the PCM share security data when first installed together that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The shared PCM ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The PATS module also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in the workshop manual that may be performed if either the PATS module or the PCM needs replacement.

All the elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working properly, the vehicle will not start.

PATS uses a visual theft indicator. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. PATS also flashes the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

PATS differs from the perimeter anti-theft system in that the PATS enables and disables the engine from starting. If equipped, the perimeter anti-theft system protects the perimeter of the vehicle (doors, hood, and trunk) and sounds an alarm.

The PATS also disables the starter motor in addition to the PCM disabling the engine. When the PATS disables the vehicle, it will neither crank nor start. If the PATS module is removed from the vehicle, the engine will not crank.

The starter relay is used as an additional means of disabling the vehicle engine. The starter relay is disabled when the PATS cannot read a valid encoded ignition key at ignition ON. The PATS will not store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) or flash the theft indicator if a valid encoded ignition key is read but a fault occurs in the starter relay circuit.

The PATS is not compatible with aftermarket remote start systems which allow the vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle security level and also may cause no-start issues. Remote start systems must be removed before investigation of PATS-related no-start issues.

Huney1
03-18-2007, 05:30 AM
PATS info: WOW! I'm flabbergasted. No wonder they give insurance discount for theft protected vehicles. I never looked close at the red light but it says "THEFT" and our 05 Marquis has the flashing red dash light to. From what you say it would be a good investment to spend the $50. and get a spare set cut and programmed for each car.

GM's On Star system sounds good but don't think Ford has anything like that. As far as cheap insurance goes, a cell phone is about as good as it gets if you get in a wreck or your wife is being hasseled by some freak driver. But if you get knocked out in a wreck the phone is useless where On Star triggers automatically.

Cell Phones contrubite to keeping our streets safe, we were riding home with another couple and a driver in front was weaving all over the road so the gal whips out the cell phone, dials 911 and says there's a drunk driver here. He followed him until a Sheriff car got behind us and pulled him over. GOOD!

Huney1
03-18-2007, 05:41 AM
http://search.stores.ebay.com/ford-taurus-key_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZs earchQQcopagenumZ1QQfposZQ5AIPQ2fPostalQQfromZR10Q QfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZQ2d6QQsadis Z200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbsQQ sofpZ4QQstorehubsubmitZSearch

Somebody please tell me which if the keys has the chip in it?
Is that what PRO means?

shorod
03-18-2007, 10:14 AM
The "Pro" key is a transponder (aka: chip) key. In this case though, the "Pro" is indicating the key comes with "Pro"gramming instructions so you can program the key yourself as retrohwam described.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!