Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Possible tampons in the gas tank.

littlebits
11-05-2006, 04:39 AM
My friend has a Dodge Dakota 2001. Anyways his ex-girlfriend said that she put two tampons in his gas tank because she is mad because he got a new girlfriend.

It has been two days and so far he hasn't had any problems with his truck.

My question is what kind of damage will this do and how long will it take?

Is there anything that he can put into his gas tank to stop any damage?

I've heard that tampons in the gas tank will destroy the engine. Is this true?

Thanks.:wink:

master hec0
11-05-2006, 12:08 PM
first off thats one of the funniest things iv heard and i dont think they can make it thru the fuel pump could clog the pump it would be best to get them out asap anything other then fuel in a fuel tank shouldnt be their.

littlebits
11-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Does anyone else have any info?

Thanks.:wink:

KimMG
11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
They can clog the pick-up tube/fuel pump and restrict the flow of fuel to the motor. If the fuel flow is blocked the pump can burn up, the vehicle can stall. Have your friend drive the vehicle until the tank is almost empty, then drop the tank and remove them.
When will the problems occur? No one can tell you if problems will occur or when.

KManiac
11-07-2006, 09:25 AM
First of all, relax, catastrophic mechanical failure in NOT eminent.

Gasoline will not cause these paper products to dissolve, they will remain intact until you remove them. They are probably swollen with fuel, making them bigger than original size.

The modern, in-tank fuel pumps have large area, pre-filter screen pick ups on the bottom of the tank. There is so much surface area to these pre-filter screens that two fuel-soaked tampons are not going to block fuel flow.

Yes, I do recommend removal of these pesky critters, but there is no urgency. I suggest scheduling a time, running the fuel tank down to empty and pulling the tank. Once you remove the sender unit and fuel pump, you will have access to anything inside the tank.

Now I have had first hand experience with paper products in the gas tank. However, this was in a 1976 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi) with carburetor and engine-mounted fuel pump. The fuel pick up in the tank was the open end of a 1/4 inch steel tube.

When my father was adding a bottle of gas additive, the paper price label on the neck of the bottle fell into the gas tank. He was concerned, at first, but I didn't think it would be a problem. Well, for the next two years, the car would mysteriously stall when driving down the road. Once you pulled to the side of road and stopped, the engine would restart without issue. This continued until one day when it happened to me and I observed evidence that maybe there was something plugging the pick up tube. I dropped the tank, pulled the sender unit out and found that price label floating on the bottom. The label was bright orange, had "SALE" printed on the top, and the price of $.57 still printed on it. After removing the label, the car never stalled again.

littlebits
11-07-2006, 09:49 AM
First of all, relax, catastrophic mechanical failure in NOT eminent.

Gasoline will not cause these paper products to dissolve, they will remain intact until you remove them. They are probably swollen with fuel, making them bigger than original size.

The modern, in-tank fuel pumps have large area, pre-filter screen pick ups on the bottom of the tank. There is so much surface area to these pre-filter screens that two fuel-soaked tampons are not going to block fuel flow.

Yes, I do recommend removal of these pesky critters, but there is no urgency. I suggest scheduling a time, running the fuel tank down to empty and pulling the tank. Once you remove the sender unit and fuel pump, you will have access to anything inside the tank.

Now I have had first hand experience with paper products in the gas tank. However, this was in a 1976 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi) with carburetor and engine-mounted fuel pump. The fuel pick up in the tank was the open end of a 1/4 inch steel tube.

When my father was adding a bottle of gas additive, the paper price label on the neck of the bottle fell into the gas tank. He was concerned, at first, but I didn't think it would be a problem. Well, for the next two years, the car would mysteriously stall when driving down the road. Once you pulled to the side of road and stopped, the engine would restart without issue. This continued until one day when it happened to me and I observed evidence that maybe there was something plugging the pick up tube. I dropped the tank, pulled the sender unit out and found that price label floating on the bottom. The label was bright orange, had "SALE" printed on the top, and the price of $.57 still printed on it. After removing the label, the car never stalled again.

She used 100% cotton tampons, I did some research and most tampons are not made from paper anymore because it caused some kind of female syndrone. Most are made from cotton and rayon.

It makes me wonder how cotton will re-act to gassoline. It could tear apart in pieces.

He has already started having problems with the truck stallling sometimes.

He suppost to take the truck to the mechanic to drop the gas tank and remove the tampon fibers.

Thanks everyone for the info.:)

BleedDodge
11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
That's what happens when you hang out with chicks.

gitrdonedakota
02-09-2007, 10:45 PM
women these days!

gitrdonedakota
02-09-2007, 10:45 PM
when i was looking through the different forums, i was compelled to read this one! no walking away from this one is there

Honda_12
02-12-2007, 01:19 PM
lol that is funny i dunno y she did that tho

zipgun
11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
That Is The Funniest Thing I Have Heard In Awhile !!!!!! Geez Im Glad My Ex Wife Isnt That Creative !!!

'97ventureowner
11-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

Add your comment to this topic!